Chronic kidney disease stage 1 - my son

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

huuanh2811

Chronic kidney disease stage 1 - my son

Post by huuanh2811 »

Hi everyone, I have just joined these forums in the hope that someone can offer me some advice. My son, 24, is currently going through treatment for leukaemia and also had two cardiac ablations this year. When he went to the pre-op for his ablation, he was asked to supply a copy of his medical history from his GP, which he did. It listed all his medical problems and treatments, all of which we knew about, except for one. It stated that in 2010, he had been diagnosed with stage 1 chronic kidney disease, but no one ever told us! Up until now there has been nothing to indicate that his kidneys have been malfunctioning, but during the last few weeks when he has been visiting the hospital for his chemo, they have been taking weekly bloods because his creatinine level is not right and they want to keep an eye on his renal function. As this has been six years ago, and no one thought to tell us, I am now anxious that it might have progressed to stage 2. I am not sure what to do, as my son is the kind of person who always plays things down, and it's hard to tell whether he is thinking the same as me. I don't want to mention it to him as he has enough to deal with, but I know his doctor will not discuss it with me without his consent or him being with me. I am at a loss at the moment, and it is worrying me sick, so any advice you could give me would be very gratefully received. Thank you.
wagolynn

Re: Chronic kidney disease stage 1 - my son

Post by wagolynn »

Hi huuanh2811,

From what you say the hospital is keeping an eye on kidney function so it is unlikely to get worse unnoticed.
Chemotherapy tends to give all organs a shock, so there may be some deviation in kidney function which should settle back when the chemo is over.

I would ask your son if he would like you to talk to the doctor, and possibly go with him to appointments, on the grounds that a) two heads are better than one, and b) you are worried anyway because you are his mum.
But, and it is a very big but, don't push too hard, if he says no then I am afraid that is it, the only thing then is to try and leave the door open so should he feel he needs moral support he knows you are there.

Best wishes to you both.