home dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

dianneherriman

home dialysis

Post by dianneherriman »

:roll: feelin kind of nervous,about to start home dialysis soon,im doing training at the moment its my husband who has renal failure but he is unable to needle himself,his room will be finished in the next week and if any one has any advice would be very greatful.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: home dialysis

Post by JMan »

dianneherriman wrote::roll: feelin kind of nervous,about to start home dialysis soon,im doing training at the moment its my husband who has renal failure but he is unable to needle himself,his room will be finished in the next week and if any one has any advice would be very greatful.
I can only point you in the direction of
Home Dialysis Central
http://www.homedialysis.org/
And the message boards there:
http://www.homedialysis.org/boards/inde ... 7ee39f4735

I may be starting home haemo myself soon, I haven't yet decided 100%.
I started needling myself again a month ago, although previously learned during my teens, & needled for 9 years. I'm a little nervous about the idea myself, tho I've been somewhat inspired by a fellow patient of mine.

Good luck to you & your husband & remember you can ring your hospital at any time if you have any concerns.!

Hope this helps a little.
J
Elaine

needling self

Post by Elaine »

Best wishes and good luck to Monkeyspoon and all those needling themselves really must take some courage. At least once comfortable you can hopefully feel more in control with the needles etc.

Elaine :D
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Elaine:

Courage, possibly, fear of other people needling you, much more likely.
I believe that if it is not working for you you CAN opt to in unit haemo.

Monkey,
How did it go,.. I'm proud to have met you online dude!:D
nycpetit

Good luck

Post by nycpetit »

Good luck. I think you'll find that being able to have some control over your health, and being able to dialysize more often, will in the end be a gift that only being able to attend a clinic cannot offer. As Monkey said (and I hope it went well Monkey!) they won't leave you on your own even after training if you are not yet comfortable. Best to you!
When we offer a hand, others are lifted.
dianneherriman

Post by dianneherriman »

:D thanks guys feelin much better now,great to know theres someone out there who is in the same position and can really tell you what its like,the unit we go to are great they are been so patient with us especially me,kind of scary putting needles in my hubby,mind you one sure thing I bet we dont have any rows on mon,wed,or fri any more. Good luck to anyone else who embarking on the home dial road,will let you no how we get on.

Di Herriman
Bear

Post by Bear »

G'day - I'm another home dialyser, but I do it on my own, not with my wife. Why can he not needle himself? It would be so much better if he could, as only he can feel when it's spot on. I use buttonhole technique, altho after 8 months (11 if you count training) I still have some cannulation probs, but I get by O.K. ....better than having someone else do it! :)
waves...Bear
IgaN since when?
Tenkoff for P.D. Feb '04
Fistula for H.H.D. Feb '05
Machine (A.R.T.H.U.R.) @ home since Nov '05
dianneherriman

Post by dianneherriman »

Hi bear sounds like you are really doing well, my hubby did want to needle himself but unfortunatley he gets gout in the opposite hand and due to medication he took whilst his transplant was working he gets tremours so its down to me im afraid,got to say its not that side of it that bothers me its if the machine alarms but this week ive meet our liason nurse and she like everyone has said they wont let us go it alone until were happy,feelin much beeter now.

Thanks guys
Di Herriman :D
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hello Di
I did home heamo with my hubby and like you was very nervous!!! I was more bothered of letting him down and not being able to finish the training!! My worries were for nothing; we finished our training way ahead of the training time and were home with his machine in five weeks!!! I found the training great fun as well as a very good learning process must say we had a very good training nurse Jill at the Leicester General Hospital.

I am most certain that you will be saying almost the same as me when your home with the machine
I wish you and your husband the very best of luck with your training please keep us all updated on the progress
Please feel free to PM or email me
Take care
Sue :)
amanda in CA

to Sue

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, how are you doing these days? It's nice to see you still posting. Best wishes, amanda