Yoga/Pilates whilst on peritoneal dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

igor1974

Yoga/Pilates whilst on peritoneal dialysis

Post by igor1974 »

I have been given conflicting advice from the PD nurses on my unit. One says it is absolutely fine for me to start doing yoga and Pilates again now and another has said no way should I be doing either of these whilst I have a PD catheter.

This is confusing and I'm not sure who is correct.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else on PD has been given advice on this form of exercise.
igor1974

transplanted 1974
APD February 2018
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Yoga/Pilates whilst on peritoneal dialysis

Post by JMan »

Did the nurse who said "no' give a valid reason?

Curious as to others experiences, I would go above the nurse and ask consultant.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

There are some genuine worries about this -

Because the PD tube passes through the skin, then the risk of infection is one. (flexing the skin around the area may temporarily create gaps for microbes to enter, carpets and floors are usually dusty).
Over stretching may tear the skin in that area.

The inner end of the PD tube is not fixed it hangs down due to gravity, so as you move around it also moves, the concern is will it return to it's intended position?

Hernias are relatively common with PD, due to the weight of the fluid, I suppose this risk can be reduced by draining before exercising.

You will know which exercises are relevant to the above comments, avoid them, and see what happens.

If any damage is done you can go onto Hemodialysis.
igor1974

Post by igor1974 »

Thanks for taking the time to give advice JMan and Wagolynn. Much appreciated.

The idea that I might have to change to haemodialysis is making me think twice. I think asking the Consultant is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? Must be brain fog. I have an appointment on the 9th April so I'll ask then.
igor1974

transplanted 1974
APD February 2018
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

igor1974 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to give advice JMan and Wagolynn. Much appreciated.

The idea that I might have to change to haemodialysis is making me think twice. I think asking the Consultant is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? Must be brain fog. I have an appointment on the 9th April so I'll ask then.
Heamodialysis isn't that bad.
igor1974

Post by igor1974 »

It's not the haemodialysis itself that bothers me Wagolynn. It's more that after much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that peritoneal dialysis suits me better and also, having recently gone through the surgery to place the PD catheter, the thought of having to have the PD catheter removed and a fistula placed is something I would prefer to avoid for as long as possible.
igor1974

transplanted 1974
APD February 2018
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi,
Some patients who are on PD do get hernias due to the weight of the dialysate.