Transplant Triathlete

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

dirverd

Transplant Triathlete

Post by dirverd »

Hi,

I first joined here when I discovered I had kidney disease (with an eGFR of 40) about 5 years ago. Since then I've experienced pretty much everything someone with kidney failure has to go though: Kidney failure itself and the symptoms that go with it (gout, high blood pressure EPO injections, swelling in the ankles etc.) Peritoneal dialysis, Heamo dialysis and, thankfully a transplant from my brother.

During this time I have continued to do triathlons, including a full Ironman (3.8k swim, 180k bike ride followed by a full marathon) with a GFR of just 20, just 8 weeks before starting dialysis.)

It's taken me while, but I've written book about it. It details in quite raw detail everything someone with kidney disease can expect to go through. And how I dealt with it.

I wrote it originally so I could show my brother (the donor) everything I went through and how his selfless act of being a living donor completely turned my life around - the book is dedicated to him.

Since then it's been picked up by a publisher and it's my hope that it now inspires people who are just starting on this journey. Life will get more difficult - but it is by no means over. And I also hope that 'well' people read it and see how important it is to be registered as an organ donor and sign up after reading it. Because let's face it the more people who register - the better.

It's on sale now at Amazon, in Foyles and Waterstones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transplant-Tri ... 1785311964

Below is a synopsis of the book. If you buy it and like it, please review it.

An ironman triathlon is seen as the hardest one-day endurance event in the world. Consisting of a 3.8km swim, a 180km bike ride, followed by a full marathon, it is a huge undertaking for anyone, never mind a rookie with chronic kidney disease. Transplant Triathlete is Diccon Driver's story: an amateur triathlete who refused to let kidney failure stop him from racing. Even after doctors told him his dream of finishing an ironman was impossible, he didn't give up. With just 20 per cent kidney function, he proved them wrong to complete his first ironman. Eight weeks later the disease causes his kidneys to fail completely and he starts dialysis to stay alive. Now in need of a transplant, his brother steps forward as a live donor to give Diccon his life back. But will the operation be a success? And most importantly to Diccon, will he ever be fit enough to race again?

Thanks

Diccon (or to use my forum name, dirverd)