Stent Removal: different experiences

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Nomad10

Stent Removal: different experiences

Post by Nomad10 »

[moderators' note: This is one person's description of their experience. While it may be real, it does not represent the 'normal' experience by any means. The original title for this thread was “DO NOT AGREE STENT REMOVAL WITHOUT GENERAL ANAESTHETIC” which we felt was unnecessarily alarmist. As with any procedure, there are conflicting risks, and a general anaesthetic may well present a greater risk of harm than the risk of experiencing severe pain.]

STENT REMOVAL WARNING: DO NOT BELIEVE doctors/nurses who tell you “the procedure is a bit uncomfortable”. It is not uncomfortable – it is AGONY. My husband has just come back after this ‘procedure’. After a supposed anaesthetic injection which did not numb the area (fake/placebo??) a gel was applied seconds before they removed the stent. This also did not work. (There was no attempt made to genuinely stop the pain - this was a cynical, money-saving exercise which they knew would cause unbearable agony.) My husband – who in the past has been stoic and uncomplaining with a tooth root abscess – was shouting in pain, screaming for help. When he came out of the ‘procedure room’ he was ashen white, shaking from head to foot and struggling to stand. He says it was the worst pain he had ever experienced and was close to losing consciousness. The 'surgical team' did not even offer pain relief afterwards - until I insisted.

ADVICE to everyone: DO NOT have the stent removed under local anaesthetic – insist on a general anaesthetic. NB: One thing I don’t understand: dentists inject painkiller into your gum then you sit and wait until it takes effect. They check this before using the drill. So why didn’t the ‘surgeon’ make any effort to numb the area/check this before carrying out an invasive procedure on a highly sensitive area?

RE-CAP on procedure: The penis opening is clamped/a large instrument is pushed through and forced up to your kidney/where a plastic tube is then extracted through the penis opening. DO NOT ACCEPT MONEY SAVING SHORTCUTS - THIS IS AGONISING - DEMAND A GENERAL ANAESTHETIC
rheaybou

Re: Stent Removal: different experiences

Post by rheaybou »

Im sorry but after having a cystoscopy around 15 years ago and a post TX stent removed 8 weeks after the operation I can assure you that for me the worst part was having a cannula inserted for the large dose of antibiotics I was given.

My penis opening was not clamped and the only thing that was used was a small abount of numbing/lubrication gel, the instrument is no larger in diameter than a ball point pen and I felt no pain.

For the procedure I was taken into the operating theatre on a bed and also taken back to the ward on a bed, afterwards I also had to pass urine to ensure that everything was in working order. The whole thing took less than 1.5 hrs and was nothing to be concerned about.

Is it possible that the stent had been in place for a long time? Post such as this will worry people without giving more details. However if people want to take a risk with a GA against some discomfort then that is their wish.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

My husband was terrified to have his removed, but he was in and out in seconds and said he wished he hadn't built himself up with all the worry. Not sure your post is necessary or helpful to anyone....
Rik

Post by Rik »

I have to say that posting such a message ... is excessive ... unreasonable ... ill-judged ... thoughtless and scaremongering towards others in this forum ...
to scream a title of "DO NOT AGREE STENT REMOVAL WITHOUT GENERAL ANAESTHETIC" is way over the top and only causes unwarranted worry and concern to others who may be having a stent removal some time in the future ...
many many others have had stent removal without any issues ... and without having to have a general anaesthetic ...
it may be a good Daily Mail headline ...but it is completely and utterly wrong to join a forum and make your first post so ill-considered and inexcusable ...
and as for your 'RE-CAP on procedure' ... it MAY have been the procedure your husband had to endure ... but it is not the procedure EVERYONE goes through ...
the reason for having a stent ... where it is placed ... and how it is removed will differ from patient to patient ... so to suggest that that's how it is done everywhere is incorrect and again will only cause worry and concern to others in the future ...
please remember that your post will sit on this forum for years ... and not a newspaper headline that will be forgotten by most the next day ...
yes ... I was more than a little worried about the idea of having a stent removal the first time ... because as a bloke ... the idea made more than my toes curl!!!!! :shock:
but before you or anyone questions my understanding on this procedure ... I speak as one who has undergone it a number of times over the years ...

yes ... its terrible that one set of doctors in one hospital caused a patient in their care such pain and suffering ... and I can honestly say that what you have written sounds a terrible thing for your hasband to have gone through ...
if you are UK based ... and you should get in touch with your hospitals Patient support service ... and liaise through them and the hospital department involved in the surgical procedure ...
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

As Amber above said, I had this done and was really worried about having it done, it took seconds, they used the gel, it was uncomfortable a best and only for a few seconds, I would have again without worrying this time, I don't think your advice is very helpful at all and frankly dangerous
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Nomad10,

I'm very sorry your husband had such a traumatic time.

I had my stent removed after some local anaesthetic gel. I am not a brave patient. It was at worst a little uncomfortable but very quick. If I had to undergo it again I would do the same thing again.

We are all different. Your husband sounds unusual in his distress. Get him to talk to his doctors about what happened.

Best wishes

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Solo

Post by Solo »

Blimey!! Although I am a girl and I imagine that having it dragged through that area is painful I have decided not to have my stent done now.
It sounds barbaric ..I felt sick reading your post nomad10
Rik

Post by Rik »

I can understand your feelings after reading the original message Solo ...
as a man I can assure you ... our pain level threshold slightly different to women .... :roll:
I can still feel the other half's fingernails digging into the palms of my hands as she made such a fuss giving birth!!!!! ... our son is now 26 ...
and the language!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hahahahahahaha!! Rik you made me laugh!

Don't tell your other half you compared a stent removal to childbirth!!! She will be annoyed!!

On another note - I'm not having the stent done...and if consultant asks why I shall show him this post :shock:
Rik

Post by Rik »

I wouldn't let the other half read ANY of my posts!!!!
I like living far too much :roll:

what ever you do ... don't let the original post put you off stent removal ...
read the other posts that gives a far more realistic view of it ...
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Solo, I second what Rik says, had my transplant in March and had the stent out a few weeks later, I was terrified in the weeks leading up to it purely as I'd heard incorrect accounts of how it went. I can honestly say it was in no way near as I'd heard about, over in seconds, no painkillers needed and if I had to have it again I wouldn't give it a second thought to be honest, I posted about my experience on here on the day I had it afterwards.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DeanH wrote:Solo, I second what Rik says
Dean ...
your a brave man to stand up and say that ...
suggesting that women have a lower pain threshold than men was daft enough when I said it .......... but to agree with me!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Why why why Rik!?!?!? Why must you continue to say we have lower pain threshold than the male ??? No wonder your gentle wife swore and dug her nails in you.....it wasn't with the pain it was because of you I bet!

Thank you DeanH for telling me about your experience but my mind is made up....I don't have a willy but I imagine it will be just as painful

Also DeanH woman have the higher pain threshold :D
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

The end of the stent is left free in the bladder after TX for ease of removal.

I was even offered the chance to watch on screen as the surgeon grabbed and removed the tube. After watching my partner give birth I have never problem with slight discomfort, as stated earlier the worst part was the cannula.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Solo - please do not refuse a stent because of this post - your transplant is far more important than listening to what was an undoubtedly horrific experience which clearly should never have happened. As a girl I can say that it was about the same as having a Pap smear, took as long and as uncomfortable. I, too, was dreading it thanks to various scaremongering, but if even Rik says it was okay ....