Living donor newbie

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Craig

Living donor newbie

Post by Craig »

Hi all, I've just joined this forum to seek some real life information and advice whilst I go through the motions of potentially becoming a donor for my partner. So many questions to ask and I'd really appreciate if somebody could lend a hand and answer some of my questions.

My partner is 21 and has CKD and currently functioning at 17% but of late function is reducing by 1% a week so transplant is currently being arranged.
Both his mum and I have fronted ourselves as potential donors and are yet to meet with the transplant co-ordinator and start the ball rolling with tests and what not.
As we're obviously pretty anxious to know what the process is could somebody shed some light on what to expect and time scales would be fantastic.

I look forward to your replies.

Craig
MatthewC

Re: Living donor newbie

Post by MatthewC »

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum.

I donated (almost exactly two years ago) to my brother and we're both doing excellently. I have put a lot of information/advice about the whole donation selection/testing process, as well as the operation itself, on my blog (click the link at the bottom) which I started in Aug 2012. I would be happy to answer any questions, whether on here or by PM.

Also, have you found Di Franks' website? See http://livingkidneydonation.co.uk/ - she was one of the first altruistic donors in the UK, but the site has lots of info which would be relevant to any donor.

Matthew