Prograf Tacrolimus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

MandyV

Re: Prograf Tacrolimus

Post by MandyV »

I am only on Prograf but the pack says (and the hospital told us)that you should take on an empty stomach (2 hours after food or an hour before). The thing is as long as you always do the same thing when they measure the levels in your blood it should be reasonably accurate though I stick to the pack guidance. Prograf is nephro toxic so critical that you ensure that the levels are accurately measured .... My target level is as close as possible to 5 because I have had some damage but the norm in my unit is 5 - 8.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Interesting didn't know it was nephro toxic. No wonder makes me feel ill. Getting blood taken tomorrow. They want my level to be 10.
Last edited by sporti on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi

Further to the discussion re Prograf after meal or before meal just wanted to share my latest experience with this drug. Was taking it with all other drugs after meal but my results kept showing I wasn't absorbing it very well so they kept upping it till I said no more 7mg was the highest twice a day. So started to take drug on its own and on empty stomach - hey presto everything changed.. My level went up to 16 so now I'm on 5mg twice a day and hope they reduce it more. They want me between 10 and 11. No wonder I felt so ill!!
Grey

Post by Grey »

My very point, I abstain from eating for 1 1/2 hours either side and are now only on 1.5 mg each dose so total of 3 mg a day. point well made.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

One thing that's worth knowing about tacrolimus, which nobody ever told me until after the event, is that if you are experiencing diarrhoea for any reason, then the tacrolimus absorption can increase significantly. (There's also the issue in such situations about immediately making really sure you keep hydrated, especially in the early weeks after a transplant). So basically, if that ever happens, let your unit know so they can keep tabs on the levels.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Thank you bigbuzzard for info x
jooles

Post by jooles »

Me too, Dean
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Grey

Post by Grey »

Joules dear, perhaps you should look at the stats, you are on 10 mg and I am on 3 mg.....I do not eat for 1 1/2 hours either side and you eat with pills...must tell you something. It appears that the absorption is so much better when taken on an empty stomach. personally these drugs are so harsh the less I have to take the better. Food for thought my dear, irrespective of what the clinic tell you or what other people do. really worth looking into in serious detail.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

I'm sure people just react differently to different things. I dont think there is a right or wrong way to be taking the medication and presumably the doctors and nurses would more than step in if they were concerned about ones blood results or reactions.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Well I am surprised, I looked up both Cellcept and Prograf, the actual manufacturers site and both do not say not to be taken with food. Now what....I will remain taking it juust as am because my dose is low and it works for me, and after all my clinic advised to abstain before and after. So be it !
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

That's fine then Grey, but as said before different clinics obviously advise their patients different things, different people have different absorption rates, comparing medication is almost pointless due to the fact that people all react differently, I for example have had a double transplant at the start of March and so what medication I am taking would differ from other people, to say look at the difference in what you are takin compared to Joules isn't very helpful or necessary in my opinion, patients should be listening and adhering to what their clinics are telling them to do rather than people on forums, by all means take information from here and ask your clinics about it, but they are the ones that know you and your results best.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Any case, after all the telling offs I have had recently...I thought a joke might cheer people up.

A husband and wife are shopping when the husband picks up a case of beer and puts it in their cart.
'What do you think you're doing?' asks the wife.
'They're on sale, only £15.00 for 24 cans he replies.
'Put them back, we can't afford them demands the wife, and so they carry on shopping.
A few aisles further on along the woman picks up a £30.00 jar of face cream and puts it in the basket.
What do you think you're doing?' asks the husband.
'It’s my face cream. It makes me look beautiful,' replies the wife.
Her husband retorts: 'So does 24 cans of beer and it's half the price.' He never knew what hit him.
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

I don't think anyone is telling anyone off? Surely this is just a public forum for people to share experiences, views and opinions. No one has to listen to anything I may type and i certainly don't mind if someone thinks what i've said is wrong or a complete load of tosh! I just enjoy hearing about people's journeys and seeing how far they have come since right at the beginning of their kidney failure/disease to where they are now.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Another telling off...at least with a tongue in cheek attitude. Anyway you are right, I too don't really care what most people say about me, there are very few who I respect and pay attention to. (I try to listen to typing but so far had very little success :D )
sporti

Post by sporti »

Have to say I'm very glad I read Greys information as being on 7mg twice a day and still getting very odd readings I was feeling terrible. Move forward to my change of plan which is Prograf taken on empty stomach and taken on its own I'm happy to report that I'm now down to 4mg twice a day and my level is still too high so I expect them to reduce it more. Slowly and steadily my fog is clearing.