Lyme disease

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AmandaClare

Lyme disease

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi, we are on holiday in Canada and yesterday after an idyllic day found one tick on my son and two on me.

I don't think we're at much risk - they didn't seem to be the kind that carry Lyme disease and we removed them within a few hours of the walk. We had a brief panic though because as soft Londoners it's not something we know much about. My poor 4 year old was hysterical and begging to go back to England. We had to search the Internet and speak to the owner of the cottage - after which we calmed down.

Does anyone know about Lyme disease? Is it a worse threat to transplant patients?

My partner just came in to say that soapy water kills ticks, so we'll be washing thoroughly twice a day as well as checking ourselves. Any other tips?
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
AmandaClare

Re: Lyme disease

Post by AmandaClare »

Just to add - we were sensibly shod in closed shoes and wearing long trousers. The little buggers were on my back and my son's upper arm. My partner's clothes were crawling with them and we're finding them in the house.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Baby boy 2010
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi

I only know about it re dogs and a small amount re humans. I should know more. We live in Northern NY and they are a very real problem. Dogs are vaccinated. From what I remember my nephrologist telling me if I had a tick buried anywhere in me I was to come in for a specific antibiotic. I'm wondering as a transplant patient whether you should look into that. Lyme disease is a very real problem and I have met loads of people who have had it or still have it but they are not kidney patients. You might want to find out if there is anything you can spray the inside of your house with. Also I never go out without spraying myself and clothes with DEET. There are several brands of tick repellent and this is the one my nephrologist says I can use. Please make sure you are all,sprayed with this before you go outside. Is the place where you are staying a rented place? Perhaps the landlord can spray the inside. Tell him you're a transplant patient. Good luck Xx. Ohh soapy water is an old wives tale!
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Ticks are common at certain times of the year down here in SW England. I had a couple the other week. They 'bite' and remain attached to your skin.

It's important to try and remove them whole, rather than scratching, and breaking off the bodies, as the mouth parts remain in the skin, and can be a source of infection. Some people can remove then with long fingernails. If you're likely to encounter them, it's a good idea to buy a tick remover like this perhaps. These lift them out easily.

Like anything, I assume tx patients are more vulnerable, so it's worth knowing what symptoms to look out for if bitten. I've had no problems so far.
sporti

Post by sporti »

The ticks in Canada and where I am have a much higher rate of passing on Lyme disease than in UK. Lyme disease is very prevalent over here.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Years ago I got African Tick bite fever and a useful tip I was given to get rid of ticks quickly and entirely was to smother them with Vaseline - it asphyxiates them and then they either fall off or can be removed easily. Don't recall trying that but if you don't have a special remover then worth a try ...
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Thank you all very much. I have been thoroughly checked and have no ticks visible today, neither has my son, and we haven't found any more around the place. We were out and about but much more careful. BUT I had to tweezer two off my partner. So disappointed that we can't kill them with a good shower - i guess it couldn't be that easy! Does washing clothes on hot kill any clinging to the fibres? Or are they virtually indestructible, like coakroaches?

The owner of this house told us where to find various sprays in the cupboards. She has been helpful with advice. However I wish she had warned us in advance about certain parts of her grounds which she knew would be full of ticks at this time of year. That's where we got so totally infested. She's a bit blasé, I think, as a local.

We're sure they're dog ticks, not the black legged ones that carry Lyme disease here in Nova Scotia. My partner has kept the ones we pull out in a jar... our new pets. However I understand that the dangerous ones are far smaller and so easier to miss.

We've been using normal tweezers but now realise we should have a special implement, I will ask at a pharmacy tomorrow.

It's so beautiful here, people are friendly, an amazing holiday - but the ticks really are disgusting and worrying.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Baby boy 2010