Catheter Repositioning

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Sillynan

Catheter Repositioning

Post by Sillynan »

Hi everyone.

I had my catheter inserted on 23rd March. Everything was going well with weekly flush outs, until last Thursday. Only a third of the fluid came out. An X-Ray showed the catheter has moved. I have to go for another X-Ray this week, and if it hasn't moved back, it will have to be repositioned. This will (as you all know) involve another operation. I was supposed to start dialysis next week, but it will be delayed if repositioning is required. I have asked how long, and was told a wait of at least a month for the operation, then a further month of weekly flushes until dialysis starts. So this would be over 2 months delay. I am concerned that this will compromise my remaining kidney function. I have stated clearly that I will pay to have the catheter repositioned quickly, but the NHS sister seems very reluctant to even find out anything for me.

Advice please form this lovely community, and has anyone ever paid to have a catheter repositioned?
wagolynn

Re: Catheter Repositioning

Post by wagolynn »

I know of patients that have dialysed (PD) two days after the catheter was fitted. I can only assume your need for dialysis is not urgent.

Delayed dialysis is unlikely to affect your kidneys. We dialyse to remove the waste products healthy kidneys would normally remove, it is not a treatment for our kidneys.

If your renal team are happy with the delay, don't worry about it, treat as one of the many frustrations you will meet along the way.

I hope that helps.
Dotty

Re: Catheter Repositioning

Post by Dotty »

Hi,

When I had mine repositioned it was used the next day, albeit with a reduced amount of fluid and it worked well.

Good luck

Dotty x
47 years old.
IGA Nephropathy diagnosed May 2013 with eGFR of 22%
PD dialysis started May 2014
3rd PD catheter fitted and failed July 2014
Hemodialysis started July 2014

Red Lippy and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) gets me through each day!