Chocolate!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

Chocolate!

Post by SKM23435 »

It's Easter.
All my family are eating chocolate eggs this lunchtime.
I'm on a low phosphate diet.
The subject came up as to which type of chocolate has the least phosphate? Anyone know? White chocolate as it has the least cocoa in it? Dark chocolate as it's the purest?

I have succumbed to a bite of milk chocolate and promise to be good for the rest of the day.

Happy Easter everyone.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
wagolynn

Re: Chocolate!

Post by wagolynn »

Hi SKM23435,
This link may help you answer your question. http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/phos ... colate.php

Chocolate should be used as a special treat, taking a phosphate binder will help, and being very good for the rest of the day.

It is much more satisfying when it is reserved as a treat. :D

My dietician says, chocolate is taboo, her reasoning is, many people cannot eat a small portion, if they start they keep on going...
I understand what she means but we just have to be very grownup about it. :wink:
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Wagolynn,
thanks for that. Looking at that list I think there is no easy answer to the question. I suspect as you say the problem with chocolate is the difficulty in only eating a small piece. To be honest I felt so guilty eating Easter egg I only had a small piece and didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
bratt

Post by bratt »

According to nutritiondata.self.com, 1 oz cocoa contains about 200 mg of phosporus, so the darker the chocolate, the more phosporus it contains. Another issue may be phosphate additives.

Here you can find a table of foods high and low in phosphorus.
http://www.nutrientsreview.com/minerals ... phate.html

Phosphorus is much easier absorbed from phosphate supplements, then from animal foods and only 10-50% is absorbed from plant foods.