Grey Transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Grey Transplant

Post by Grey »

Hi all, the countdown has started. We (Yvonne my wife) and I were in the paired exchange list for transplant. I am O group and she is A. It appears that an exceptionally generous altruistic donor walked into a clinic somewhere in the UK and offered a kidney. That was allocated to me and it turns out it is a 4 out of 6 match. Notwithstanding my many cases of BCC and SCC skin cancer recently and a healing but still open wound on my shin where a big SCC was removed they are aiming at a date in March. My heavens now it is close and I am excited but at the same time cautious and need I say a little concerned about the continued healing of my leg wound and any affect the imuno drugs may have on more cancer and the healing.

Anyway I am forever grateful to my dear wife and off course the anonymous donor.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Tibbs

Re: Grey Transplant

Post by Tibbs »

Wow - that's great news.

I hope everything will keep moving along well.

If the donation is an altruistic one will your wife still donate to someone?
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

All good news.

Can I ask is Yvonne donating as part of the paired exchange or is this separate to this scheme?

I personally feel that altruistic donation needs more widespread publicity.

Hope all goes well.
Let us know how you get on.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi all. yes we were on the paired exchange list as well as the normal list. In this case someone walked into a clinic and offered a kidney, which matches 4 out of 6 with me. In order to get the transplant my exchange donor (Yvonne) must still donate and they took bloods for an identified cross match today so we will know soon. Very exciting but also very concerned about the cancer story. Anyway here goes ! Advantage is that both in Yvonne's case and mine they are in essence live donations which we all know is as good as it gets.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Great stuff Grey. Glad things are finally moving for you. Keep us posted.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hi Grey,

That is wonderful news, I'm so very pleased for you.
Good luck

Dotty xx
47 years old.
IGA Nephropathy diagnosed May 2013 with eGFR of 22%
PD dialysis started May 2014
3rd PD catheter fitted and failed July 2014
Hemodialysis started July 2014

Red Lippy and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) gets me through each day!
jbell

Post by jbell »

Hi Grey

I am very happy for you and I hope all goes well for you, take care....Jan x
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

Everything crossed for you!
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

All sounding really hopeful Grey. Fingers crossed for you. :)
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi Grey

Brilliant news! We are in a similar situation and I have the same reservations as yourself. I was told in no uncertain terms that if they, ie transplant unit, had any doubts they wouldn't be doing it! Hope this helps. They're also going to do something different with my immunosuppressant drugs. No idea what :D
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi Grey
So pleased to read this post from you!
I had a transplant last week and in the bed opposite me was an altruistic donor - a remarkable woman who literally walked in off the street and offered her kidney to someone. there was also someone who had gone through paired exchange too.

It was the second time I had the Call - the first time was in Dec 2013 but after 18 hours of waiting and just ten minutes before theatre, they announced that they had found cancerous cells on the donor kidney. Things looked to be going the same way this time too. It was a deceased cardiac, so I was warned that it could take quite a while to wake up. The they said that there were potential issues with blockages / clots in tubes so the surgeon wanted to take time to fully flush it and inspect it. I was prepared to come home again. Next minute it was all systems go.

I was discharged after exactly a week and have been home now for three days. My creatinine has fallen from 620 before TX to 234 - I think the last time I was that low must have been a decade ago. I'm trying not to worry - but I have a cold now and I know this is the beginning of a new and different journey but I am so very grateful....

I do hope all goes well with the paired exchange and look forward to hearing all about it.

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Jooles,

Congratulations on your good news. I hope all goes well.
You and Grey have always been about 9 months ahead of me in this journey so I have followed your paths with interest.

Best wishes

Sue
Started APD July 2014
Transplant 9/5/15
jooles

Post by jooles »

Thanks Sue. Your turn soon then!
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Grey,

Have you a new date for the op yet?

Sue
Started APD July 2014
Transplant 9/5/15
Grey

Post by Grey »

Nope...still waiting . A little worried because another SCC cancer has appeared on my leg, just below the crater where they removed the last. Hoping this dooes not scupper the op!