Dilated drainage tube?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ScrapheapHuman

Dilated drainage tube?

Post by ScrapheapHuman »

I have just had my appointment with renal, and been put on another BP med, also they have requested for me to have another ultrasound. I explained about mt backache and they asked if it was on one side, which it is generally all over, but I have been getting a worse pain on my left side. Dr then said that a scan I had in Jan showed that my drainage tube on the left kidney was more dialted than usual. I told I wasn't made aware of this and she explained that it was within 'normal range' but the upper limits of normal.

My kidney problems actually stem from the vavles in my tubes being broken, and this was correct when I was 5 years old.

I didn't think much of it as usually my appointments are 'information overload' and it's not until I talk to my husband on the phone that the questons start to come. Like for instance, if it exceeds the 'normal range' what happens? Would I need another operation? What can cause it to become dilated? Will this have a direct effect on my overal kidney function?

If anyone can help, even a little bit that would be great... I know have to wait 10 weeks for my next appointment.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

http://scrapheaphuman.blogspot.co.uk/
hotashel

Re: Dilated drainage tube?

Post by hotashel »

Hi,

I don't have any experience of your particular condition. However if you are worried I wouldn't wait until your next appointment. Any renal unit worth their weight in gold should understand that when you have an appointment there is a lot of information and so should offer the opportunity for you to either ask questions at the time or understand that there will be questions you may need to ask once you have digested the information that you have been given. Give them a call and tell them how you feel, explain that since your appointment you would like to clarify some points and ask some questions to put your mind at rest.

It may be that you put your concerns to the secretary who will get the information and phone you back, but you have a right to ask. My unit always tell me if an appointment is coming up that will have lots of info and they tell me to bring someone with me, however when they told me I would need a transplant they sprung that on me out of the blue and my family complained as I should of had someone with me for that little gem.

I think the issue is, for the medical staff its matter of fact as it is their job and so they don't think unless its pointed out always see that its so much more for you or I. They don't mean to be like that but they are not going through it.

Give them a ring, at least then it will put your mind at rest.
Take care
wagolynn

Re: Dilated drainage tube?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi ScrapheapHuman,
Sorry to hear of your newly revealed potential problem.
I think hotashel (above) has said it all, phone and ask. In this case, I don't think all your questions can be answered until further investigation has taken place.

Best wishes.