Anxiety on the lead up to appointments!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ScrapheapHuman

Anxiety on the lead up to appointments!

Post by ScrapheapHuman »

This happens all the time I am coming up to an appointment and it is not getting any better - I suspect in fact, it will only get worse!

My appointment is Monday 8th and as per usual I am getting anxious again. My last appointment went really well, then I was due an appointment in Aug which got postponed due to the Drs and holidays etc. The past couple of weeks I have not felt right again, then last week my back has been killing me, to the point I was almost in tears. Although I did put it down to the fact I had spent a week on a sofa bed which was so uncomfortable, but I have also noticed my energy levels have gone through the floor and my hands and feet are terrible restless. I have to keep trying to move and click them, especially my fingers and wrists!

I hate this feeling and keep telling myself I am making myself feel like this with worry! It is so frustrating as people just assume you are okay and when you say you are nervous about an appointment they seem to pass it off like I am being stupid. Or when I say I am feeling particularly exhausted I get 'Pah! You're tired, you don't even do anything!" Which is not true, I have two children and I child mind fulltime as well as run another business!!

Ugh - Roll on Monday. Sorry for the moan, guess I just need a bit of an outlet!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

http://scrapheaphuman.blogspot.co.uk/
ScrapheapHuman

Re: Anxiety on the lead up to appointments!

Post by ScrapheapHuman »

Just done BP and it was 150/108!!! :(

Going to get my bloods done tonight instead of tomorrow and do BP again tonight when I am relaxed and laying down!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Your BP does jump up a little when you are nervous/apprehensive as I know mine does.

The point you make about people brushing it off as just an appointment is true, but they don't understand and think of it as being like a regular Dr's appointment for a bad chest/aches and pains. For anyone with a chronic illness it is not bog standard and I spent the days leading up to clinics in a panic as your fear is always bad news.

If you get time try just to sit and relax for 5 mins and do your BP again, but it will be a little lower.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
jstuartrobson

Post by jstuartrobson »

Yep, I know exactly where you were coming from. I had built up a very good relationship with my renal consultant. He always recognised my blood pressure would play up when I went to see him.

I purchased an omron blood pressure monitor and he asked me to take regular blood pressure readings and bring them in. That way he had a fair idea of whats going on. Could that be a solution for you?

I'm still in the process of building up a relationship with my new consultant, I don't feel as comfortable yet and can't talk to him like I used to be able to talk to my previous consultant.
jstuartrobson

Post by jstuartrobson »

Well that was a conversation killer...................
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi ScrapheapHuman,
Don't worry - easy to say but difficult to do. :o

I reason this way, if I worry will anything change, whatever is around the corner, is around the corner and it cannot be changed. Most of us have a condition that doe's not have a cure, the situation can be improved by a transplant but that is all. We can fret, fume, weep, and wail but these are the cards life has dealt, all we can do is play them the best we know how. However, we are not on our own, we have the consultants and doctors on our side doing their best, if we let them, to help us to play them to our advantage.
If you can really take this on board, you will look forward to appointments as a chance to review progress to date. :)

Here endeth the lesson, sorry to preach. :D

Best wishes.
ScrapheapHuman

Post by ScrapheapHuman »

Thank you, my appointment is today, I checked my blood results and they actually seemed fine, but the ALB was lower than normal, and I think I am correct in thinking that means I am leaking a fair bit of protein?

My back has been killing non-stop and I have been feeling sick, last night I went to bed and the room was spinning, but I am putting that down to nerves! I will tell Dr everything and see what happens! Be back soon xx

ScrapheapHuman

Post by ScrapheapHuman »

Had my appointment I had to do an MSU as I might have an infection. I advised of my BP and I have to go back in two weeks. I am sort of hoping it's just an infection and a quick course of antibiotics to fix it. Fingers crossed it's nothing worse and that my kidneys maintain their current function

wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

ScrapheapHuman wrote:Thank you, my appointment is today, I checked my blood results and they actually seemed fine, but the ALB was lower than normal, and I think I am correct in thinking that means I am leaking a fair bit of protein?

My back has been killing non-stop and I have been feeling sick, last night I went to bed and the room was spinning, but I am putting that down to nerves! I will tell Dr everything and see what happens! Be back soon xx
ALB (Albumen) is used as an assessment of your general health, it will go low if you are 'under the weather', the back ache would probably do it.