That call

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AmberH

That call

Post by AmberH »

Hi All,

Been a long while since I posted on here about my husband and feels like a lot has happened since!

The last time I posted his operation to fit the catheter for PD didn't happen and they were planning on getting him an appointment to do it under a general anaesthetic instead. That was on a Friday, then on the Sunday night he was very very ill. I had to call an ambulance out for him and he was taken to our local hospital vomiting blood and then transferred to The Royal London the following day. His kidneys had completely given up. They kept him in all week and gave him a temporary line for HD before taking him to theatre on the Friday to fit his PD tube. He was due to be discharged on Sunday, so Saturday night I was at home relaxing and looking forward to getting him home when I had a call from Guys hospital looking for him as they had organs! Couldn't bloomin' believe it! They spoke to the ward where he was and arranged for him to be transferred to Guys. Meanwhile I was in a cab on my way, and then beat him to it! Unfortunately the doctors were concerned that he had been so unwell that they thought the risks were far too great to go ahead.

Was great to get him home, even though both very disappointed about the transplant, but of course we would never have wanted any extra risks. PD was hard to get used to, but he has not had any problems with it (touch wood) and has got into a routine. His work have been fantastic and he has adjusted his hours slightly and all in all he's very well. We even had a holiday to Norfolk for a week in July and Fresenius couldn't have been any more helpful, was like clock-work.

Anyway, we both knew it couldn't be much longer before we had "the call" again. It came two Tuesdays ago from the surgeon on his way to check the organs. He told us to hang fire and he'd call us back to say whether to go. We walked the dogs, packed bags and cried. It's the weirdest feeling. You wait and wait for it and when it comes you're not ready – at least that's how we felt. A few hours later we had a call back from the surgeon to say that the pancreas wasn't good enough and so it couldn't go ahead. Heartbroken.

Then last Tuesday, we had the call again! Panic stations, dog sitters arranged, bags packed for all of us. Then to find that they had to biopsy the kidneys and they weren't viable. Another heartbreak.

Not sure if it gets easier to get these calls and for them not to happen. I know of course we are so grateful that he is getting them, I just pray that the next one is it and it's perfect and we can get on with our lives. We only got married in December and so much has happened already.

There wasn't really a point to this post, but it sure helps me writing it out. I do read what you're all going through on here and think how bloody strong you all are and you're still there offering advice and reassurance to those who seek it. Good luck to all of you and I hope you don't mind if I get more posting and involved on here as I think it does help me. If I'm brave enough I might even show you my ice bucket challenge – donating to Kidney Research UK :wink:

Amber x
Tibbs

Re: That call

Post by Tibbs »

OMG - 3 calls and no result! I've never heard that. I can totally understand your reaction, they put my transplant off by a week, and even though I knew it was going to happen just a week later, I was absolutely in bits.

I hope the PD is settling in well, and I'm glad you managed to get away - it's so nice just to have a change of scenery sometimes.

And we definitely need to see the Ice Bucket challenge - I'm doing mine tonight, and donating to Kidney Research too!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Like Tibbs I had a living donor transplant that was delayed by a few months and that was hard for both my donor and I to deal with.

To get three calls for transplant and not be match/suitable must be a difficult thing to deal with, I am not sure how I would have coped. Unfortunatley the list is what it is, a horrible place to wait.

Keep positive and living your life as best as possible, dont let it win.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Chris66

Post by Chris66 »

It must have been horrible to have hopes raised like that only for them to be dashed,looking on the brightside at least he is getting the calls,i have been waiting nearly 2 years now and no call as yet,but i am on the waiting list for the Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham which has the highest average call time in the uk,it currently around 4 years for a Cadiaveric Transplant.Hope he gets the call soon.
Diagnosed 2006 at stage 3
ESRF May 2012
APD May /Sept
Home Heamo,AV Fistula
Waiting for that call one day.
Never argue with an idiot,they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

Hi all,
Have not been on for a while. Things have really been up and down as I'm sure can be expected. Currently sitting in Guys after our 6th call (I know!) this morning. Fingers crossed it goes ahead today, but trying so hard not to be too hopeful after so many disappointments.

Hope everyone is doing ok, I've got lots of posts to read through and catch up on whilst I'm sitting here...

Amberx
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

It's incredible that you're on your 6th call. Really really hope it goes ahead today.

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

So it went ahead! I've just spoken to the surgeon and the pancreas has worked straight away, kidney needs a kick start with some dialysis but so far so good, no complications and they're happy. I can't wait to see him a bit later.

I can't express how I'm feeling right now. Complete mixture of extremes! What a wonderful brave donor family to give my husband a new life, I'll forever be grateful for their gift.

First chapter starts today... X
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Great news.
Let us know how he gets on.

Best wishes
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Fantastic news Amber. Really pleased for you and your husband. :)
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Across the line at last!

Well done - I hope all goes well.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Amazing! Hope it all goes very smoothly
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

So he is doing fantastically! The kidney worked straight away too so he shouldn't need any dialysis. The physios are with him now getting him up out of bed and he's soon to be taken to the ward.

Of course I know there is a way to but I'm so hopeful x

P.s I hope you don't mind me updating on here, it's nice to just write things down and see the journey he's having
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

That is excellent news. I'm so very pleased for you both.

Dotty xxx
47 years old.
IGA Nephropathy diagnosed May 2013 with eGFR of 22%
PD dialysis started May 2014
3rd PD catheter fitted and failed July 2014
Hemodialysis started July 2014

Red Lippy and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) gets me through each day!
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

Hi All,

After 11 days in hospital hubby is coming home today!! I literally can't believe it.

Still some fluid and swelling around pancreas but apparently that's normal for this type of transplant and they aren't worried.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words, I never thought we'd get here. We're so incredibly grateful and so lucky.

Amber x
lainiepop

Post by lainiepop »

Wonderful news!
1982 - born with one imperfect kidney, no bladder
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon op
2007 - birth son, gfr drop 30% to 26%
July2011 - birth prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr 10%
Now - gfr 8.8% transplant from dad 29th May2012!