Veins borderline for fistula

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

sporti

Veins borderline for fistula

Post by sporti »

Hi all - Had my mapping done yesterday and the vascular surgeon said my veins are very small borderline acceptance for fistula. They would do it but could take a year to heal and couldn't say whether it would ever be useable. I can have a graft but they can be problematic for infections. Anyone have a graft please? I'm not sure I even want to do dialysis. Maybe the matter will be out of my hands. Also if you have a fistula that doesn't work or you get a transplant what happens to the fistula? Is it reversible? Thank you
suz

Re: Veins borderline for fistula

Post by suz »

Hi Sporti

I have a graft in my thigh as my veins are too small for a fistula. I was on dialysis for over four and a half years, during that time I didn't have any infections in the graft and it continued to work very well.

I understand when you say you are not sure that you even want to do dialysis as I felt the same way. Even though I started, it was always at the back of my mind that I could stop anytime I wanted. As someone who had a needle phobia and use to pass out at the sight of blood it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I met some remarkable people who had,have far more to cope with than I did and they still remain positive and make the most of life.

I hope it all goes well for you.
Suz
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

I have just had a graft done and it is working fine was on dialysis the day after it was fitted. I won.t kid you it is some procedure to get it done but well worth it. I had a fistula which was working but not big enough and as I needed dialysis at that point they suggested the graft. I have had a full week.s worth of dialysis and I have noticed some small changes now so it can only get better I hope. I felt like you that I would not have dialysis but after discussions about my options if I did.nt I decided to go ahead with it, its a massive change to life style but then so is kidney disease in the first place...........good luck to you whatever you decide............

Liz
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.
jstuartrobson

Post by jstuartrobson »

I had the fistula op. Fistula functioned for about a minute according to the surgeon.

They did a map of my veins and they were too narrow. Nothing was ever done about it. I went on PD and that was it.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

A failed fistula will be very different depending how long it was used for, I imagine.. Mine clotted 20 years ago after buzzing for about 8 years. Now it's almost flat and just a white operation scar plus a couple of patches of scarring from the needles. Cosmetically it's not bad at all. However it was only in use for 3 months (after pd stopped working and before transplant). I know they get bigger and more scarred the more they are used.

They don't generally deliberately reverse them, unless things have changed since my tx - they like a backup plan even for a well functioning transplant.

Really hope you find a way forward you're happy with. Best of luck.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Again this is something that varies by unit - at WLRTC they are quite happy to use necklines for long term but also they have a transplant surgeon who started as a vascular surgeon and who enjoys that work so will reverse redundant fistula(e)? which are too large and causing problems - i.e. I heard of one man who had been on HD for years and his fistula was so large that he couldn't wear regular shirts, hence a reversal for him made a huge difference to quality of life. I don't believe that it is routine to reverse and certainly I have two failed fistulae and there is no plan to do anything about them. I never had HD as a result (stuck to PD for the entire 6 years).