How long to feel normal after stent removal

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

kashi416

How long to feel normal after stent removal

Post by kashi416 »

I've read it usually takes a day or two but that's mostly for people who had stone removal treatments who don't have stent for too long. But I had it for month and half and removed a week ago. I still continue to feel dull ache and fullness in the flank, abdomen, and back area 24/7. This is exactly how I felt with the stent, so it possible to have this lingering dull ache for so long from stent? Or is it mostly my surgery pain on the kidney and ureter(two months ago). Which is it more likely and how long can it persist? And is there any test that can diagnose the cause of this?
Tibbs

Re: How long to feel normal after stent removal

Post by Tibbs »

I had my stent in for a long time, more than 3 months.

I'm trying to remember how long I had an ache for, it was certainly longer than a few days, more like 2 weeks or so I'd think. It wasn't pain though, more a dull ache or an 'awareness' that something wasn't quite right. It was more in my bladder and urethtra than in my kidney. I had quite strong twinges in my bladder when I urinated though.

Have you spoken to your doctor?
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
jstuartrobson

Post by jstuartrobson »

I remember those twinges. I can't remember how long I had my stent in for though....
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

jstuartrobson wrote:I remember those twinges. I can't remember how long I had my stent in for though....
How long did they last for you? I think it was about a month for me, but got less intense as time went on. I never thought they'd end!
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I had a stent for about 8 weeks post transplant. Part from the slight discomfort of it being removed I never had any pain/discomfort while it was in or after removal.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I think it is worth a precautionary visit to your doctor.
Zennor

Post by Zennor »

Hi
I had a stent for five weeks after TX. I was never aware of it and following removal had no sensation whatsoever. I agree this is best checked out.
I remember the nephrectomy and transplant did not give me any nerves beforehand, but the stent removal was another matter. I recall looking at the screen while they tried to catch the stent and my sense of impending doom when they caught it folded double in those little jaws and started pulling....
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Zennor wrote:Hi
I had a stent for five weeks after TX. I was never aware of it and following removal had no sensation whatsoever. I agree this is best checked out.
I remember the nephrectomy and transplant did not give me any nerves beforehand, but the stent removal was another matter. I recall looking at the screen while they tried to catch the stent and my sense of impending doom when they caught it folded double in those little jaws and started pulling....
I had pain bcause I was starting to absorb the stent. It took quite a tug to get it out!

I kept my eyes resolutely closed when that camera approached... :shock:
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Tibbs wrote:
Zennor wrote:Hi
I had pain bcause I was starting to absorb the stent. It took quite a tug to get it out!

I kept my eyes resolutely closed when that camera approached... :shock:

They asked if I would like to watch, I thought about telling them to F**K OFF.....But there were nurses present. I had it done in the same theater and by the same surgeon who removed my donors kidney, we just chatted about how he is doing and zzzzzzzip! Out it came
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
jstuartrobson

Post by jstuartrobson »

I must have been lucky! I was KO'd for my stent removal! As for the twinges, I can't remember how long they went on for, but I remember being in agony when going for a wee. I guess it was because I had dried up so to speak!
kashi416

Post by kashi416 »

I have talked with my doctor, and he wants me to get renal scan in three weeks before he does anything. Im getting sick of this pain, its non stop every second of the day, almost like dull burning type ache in the flank and right abdomen. Ive been reading about chronic flank pain, and I am starting to feel it will never end and maybe I should accept it as part of my life.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Progress then.

I realise that the flank pain is grinding you down, but if they were really worried, they have you in much sooner.

Have you discussed pain management with them?