Low phosphate diet

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Tibbs

Re: Low phosphate diet

Post by Tibbs »

On my low potassium diet I ate a LOT of wraps and fajitas.

You can make a really flavourful spice mix (If I can find mine I'll post up the spice list), and throw a boatload of onions & peppers in a pan with some hot oil. Once they're starting to look soft and a bit browned, throw in the seasoning and stir it until everything is covered. If you're allowed meat, brown some chicken in the oil first then take it out and do the veg. Take it out before you do the veg and add it back in before you add in the spice mix.

On a low potassium diet I was allowed sour cream but not tomatoes, so I used to make a cucumber salsa by dicing cucumber up and micing it with some lime juice, coriander and mint.

pop it into a wrap (buy some or if you want to do it properly google Robert Rodriguez Breakfast Tacos and make a load they're really easy) and munch away.

They were my go-to meal when I was lazy towards the end when I was nearing my op.

My sister (bless her) also found a recipe for dairy-free, tomato free lagagne, which she made. It tasted lovely and texturally very similar to lasagne, but not like it taste-wise! I'll see if I can find the recipe.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
jbell

Post by jbell »

Thanks Tibbs, your spice mix would be great and I am intrigued about the lasagne !! It's probably not as hard as I think to eat ok, do they sometimes stop you eating protein?, or is the normal amount for anyone ok? Having couscous tonight, have decided to give up potatoes as much as possible and I have bought some brown basmati rice and once I have eaten my last 2 yoghurts in the fridge I am knocing them on the head as well ! :mrgreen:
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

wagolynn wrote:
cazpi wrote:As a vegetarian, I really struggle with the phosphate issue, there is very little in the way of vegetarian protein that isn't packed with phosphate Left to my own devices I'd live almost entirely on cheese, nuts, yoghurt and pulses, so it's very hard for me.

I eat quite a lot of eggs, and stacks of home made bread.

Every time I see a dietician, I ask for positive menu suggestions instead of a list of no-no's (which I'm already very aware of), but they are very unhelpful. Last time in sheer frustration, I said - "What do you suggest I have for lunch today?" and didn't really get an answer. The dietician is also very strict about potassium - whereas my consultant says my potassium levels are fine, and as long as I don't go overboard on a bananafest I needn't restrict potassium very much.

I really, really hate the phosphate restriction.
The consultant is saying your potassium is within the limits with your current diet.

Do you eat fish?

Most vegetables will be down to reasonable levels if soaked overnight and boiled, you could have some raw even as a treat (after soaking) if that is what you like.

As a last resort the dietician can prescribe protein supplements.

The consultant will complain to your dietician if you go outside the limits so it is unfair of him/her to suggest you indulge.
Yes my potassium is fine (thankfully), so I do eat quite a lot of veg including raw, and miraculously my potassium levels are so far pretty much unaffected - it's just the phosphate - I think the dietician tends to reel out the anti-potassium speech without looking at the patient in question's individual bloods.

I don't eat fish if I can possibly avoid it, but have done from time to time, when there has been no alternative. Not pleasant. My earliest memories are of throwing tantrums on being fed meat - I fought against it all through my childhood - there were hours and hours of stalemate with my parents when I was very small.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi cazpi,

You potassium sort of makes sense, high fibre diet = regular poo and out goes the potassium...

How do you prepare your veg?

I was just thinking of fish as protein, look for Albumin on your blood results, it is a rough indicator of how you are for protein. You may be short of some vitamins and minerals but if you understand what you are doing you will probably have them under control. Boiled or soaked veges loose some of the water soluble ones.
codyedwardwilliams

Post by codyedwardwilliams »

If you have an earlier stage of kidney disease, you'll likely be advised to limit your intake of phosphorus and protein. A reduced-protein diet helps limit the amount of waste that builds up in your blood.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

codyedwardwilliams wrote:If you have an earlier stage of kidney disease, you'll likely be advised to limit your intake of phosphorus and protein. A reduced-protein diet helps limit the amount of waste that builds up in your blood.
No, you really won't.

It's only in late stage renal failure when your kidney is unable to regulate phosphate levels that you'll be put on any sort of restrictive diet.

My function got all the way down to 15% before I needed to restrict my potassium intake.

Protein consumption is generally not a problem in the UK, as we (relatively at least) don't eat that much meat.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
codyedwardwilliams

Post by codyedwardwilliams »

Lower phosphorus food tips:

1. Instead of milk,use substitutes like non-dairy creamers, rice milk (unenriched) or soy milk.
2. Instead of cheese, use cream cheese or sour cream.
3. Instead of chocolate or nutshave jellybeans, fondant, gumdrops, hard candy, unsalted popcorn or unsalted pretzels.
4. Instead of bran, oat or whole wheat cerealsuse cereals made from corn, refined wheat or rice.
5. Instead of brown rice or wild riceuse white rice, pasta,