waste bag leak

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

cathys8

waste bag leak

Post by cathys8 »

Hi all
My apd waste bag leaked this morning and I am anxious that I may have got an infection? Did this ever happen to anyone else? I am reluctant to go to the hospital as I would have to go thru emergency n last time it took 10hours :(
Thanks
Cathy
40 yr old with Alports syndrome
CAPD since Sept 13
Nov 2012 - listed for transplant
27 Mar 2014 - I got the call!!
amanda in CA

Re: waste bag leak

Post by amanda in CA »

To be honest, I would not worry. It is not necessary to drain into a drain bag (I used yo drain into toilet). The drain line is not considered sterile and infection would have to track all the way up the waste line before you got an infection; this simply will not happen otherwise it would be standard practice for someone to drin into a sterile bag.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I did APD for eight years and HHD only time I ever used the drain bag was when I had to do my monthly adequacy test.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I would mention it to your PD nurse and maybe just call in with a sample in the little drain bags and have bloods done, better the wait than a dose of peritonitis.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

As I have already said, if infection was a risk from the end of a drain line, it would be necessary for everyone doing APD to drain into a sterile drain bag; that is simply not the case. Many people drain into the toilet, a bath tub, a bucket. That is essentially no difference than get a leak in a drain bag. In all of these cases, the end of the drain line is exposed to the air and what is in it. If you are worried, and you want to allay your fears, then phone your nurse for her advice.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi cathys8,
Just clean up in the normal way.

You are OK anything in the bag came from you, so you would already have that infection. It is only of concern to someone else. Your normal hygiene procedures will protect you. Just clean-up any spillage straight away to protect others Talk it through with your PD nurse to find out why it leaked and prevent it happening again.
cathys8

Post by cathys8 »

Thanks lads for all the replies. I rang the hospital and like most if you already said I should b fine! Thank God as its a bank holiday here n the place I want to be is hospital!
40 yr old with Alports syndrome
CAPD since Sept 13
Nov 2012 - listed for transplant
27 Mar 2014 - I got the call!!