PD supplies

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

PD supplies

Post by SKM23435 »

Where do you keep your PD supplies and why?
I gather they take up a lot of space. I'm considering the garage (going to need a major tidy though. 20 years of rubbish accumulated in there so far!). Is the garage a reasonable option?
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
rheaybou

Re: PD supplies

Post by rheaybou »

I had a small box room and it covered about 1/5th of the floor space. Having it close to the main bedroom means you have less distance to carry it when setting up and the Baxter delivery guy will bring it into the house and stock rotate. If it is in the garage they will do the same, but then you are responsible for getting a small stock into the house every few days. Maybe if you are in clinic ask if they have any boxes of fluid, you can see if this is easy for you to carry(dont take any offence please) plus you have to avoid heavy lifting for about 12 weeks post surgery.

I would also ask about the effect of low temperature on the fluid?

Will see if I have any pictures of the old bedroom/stockroom to show the sort of quantity of boxes my prescription required!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Yes It's bad enough fetching the box and bags from my box room, let alone running downstairs. Major consideration as far as I'm concerned. But if you do not have an unused box room, well next best I guess. I don't think the cold has an effect, just that every bag you open will have condensate after bringing it in from the cold to warm bedroom. G
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

No problems as far as I am aware from keeping PD fluid in the garage. I used to keep mine at one time in an outdoor shed.
MandyA

Post by MandyA »

Your garage should be fine for storing your PD supplies.

The Royal London hospital provides a shed for patients who don't have a spare bedroom, but do have a garden.

However, the nearer you can store supplies to where you will be using them, the better, or it will turn into a real drag moving them around each night.

Mandy
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I don't think cold storage affects the PD fluid (other than taking longer to warm up - so more electricity costs for the APD machine) but it DOES affect the APD cassettes. I went to Copenhagen in the winter once, and found that I kept getting errors and had to ditch the cassettes. Eventually worked out was because they were too cold at the start.

I'd taken a couple spares, but ran out, so had to call the Baxter emergency number. They put me in touch with a Danish hospital just down the road. I turned up and the nurse there just gave me a bunch of cassettes. No paperwork, cost - just here you are. I love the renal community!