Post transplant pregnancy

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JoSmif

Post transplant pregnancy

Post by JoSmif »

Hi all,

I've just swapped from MMF to Azathioprine and my createnine levels have gone from 140 to 200 and now down to 170. Does anyone have experience with this and found that their levels went down to their normal baseline again after a while?

Has anyone experienced a pregnancy on 170?

Also, does anyone believe that a less hectic life style and certain diet choices can get createnine down?

Thank you,

Jo
AmandaClare

Re: Post transplant pregnancy

Post by AmandaClare »

Sorry to hear this Jo. How incredibly frustrating.

I think some women have kids at worse creatinine than this, but with their native kidneys.

Some kidney patients sail through pregnancy, some don't and they can only tell you the stats, not how you and your baby will be. My creatinine was a rock-steady 92 when I had my son, had been for decades. i had pre-eclampsia, delivery at 32 weeks, baby in the neonatal unit etc. (He's doing great now.)

Best of luck. I hope your docs will do all they can in trying different med combinations etc to make this possible for you.

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I hope this may help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatinine they appear to suggest the amount of meat in the diet is relevant.
However, I would not recommend making any changes without first seeking medical advice.
JoSmif

Post by JoSmif »

Thanks both.

@Amanda - I saw your post over on JenJen's question and thought exactly what you said. It might go well on 170 and not so well on a lower level or the other way round, they just don't know. Just wish it wasn't quite so scary with so many risks involved. To be honest I don't feel like too many different drug combinations have been tried yet, who knows maybe another one will be tried if I stay on 170.

Glad your boy is doing well now!

Jo
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Jo,

I have just switched also from MMF to Azathiaprine, I am a little anxious about it, as 10 years of taking the same dose of a medication, I hope that change won't do too much damage.

I am having my bloods re-checked in 2 weeks and hoping that there hasn't been a big change in my levels.

Good luck with everything.

Cheers
Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
JoSmif

Post by JoSmif »

Hi Andy,

How come you have to change? I had to change loads of the other drugs as well so hopefully you'll be ok.

fingers crossed for your blood tests.

Jo
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi,

After changing my MMF to azathiarpine, it appears that I had a mild senstivity to it, causing GI upset and a mild rash, so stopped it. When I saw my own renal team, they thought that it could have been a stomach bug rather than a sensitivity, however, last week saw the team again and decided to change back from MMF to azathiaprine and 5 days later had similar symptoms, so stopped the Aza again.

Team have just called back and they are going to put me on low dose steroids and Tac, with likely hood of needing to increase my Tac dose!

Has anyone here only ever been on one immuno?

Cheers
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Hi Andy - yes, it is quite common at my unit; I have just been on (low dose) tac since my tx nearly 7 years ago with things being stable since. I was only on pred for a week.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Andy wrote:Hi,

After changing my MMF to azathiarpine, it appears that I had a mild senstivity to it, causing GI upset and a mild rash, so stopped it. When I saw my own renal team, they thought that it could have been a stomach bug rather than a sensitivity, however, last week saw the team again and decided to change back from MMF to azathiaprine and 5 days later had similar symptoms, so stopped the Aza again.

Team have just called back and they are going to put me on low dose steroids and Tac, with likely hood of needing to increase my Tac dose!

Has anyone here only ever been on one immuno?

Cheers
I was only on Tac when I left hospital post transplant. That's standard for people coming out of Hammersmith I think.

I was only put on MMF and Pred after my rejection episode.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

In case useful, I just noticed guidelines about post-transplant pregnancy at the bottom of these Renal Soc Guidelines.