CKD and the cold virus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

TrickyF

CKD and the cold virus

Post by TrickyF »

Hi

I'm new to this forum.

I have stage 4 CKD (gfr 17). I have a cold/man flu at the moment. Is it normal for an infection to affect someone with ckd more than someone without it? I used to get colds very rarely and if I did I brushed them off really quickly. More recently, I've got many more colds and they often knock me out for a few days.

Cheers

Tricky
lizbee

Re: CKD and the cold virus

Post by lizbee »

Hi Tricky I can.t say for certain if it does make the cold linger longer but what I do know is that when your kidneys are impaired and you get an infection or even a virus it can seem worse than it did before, I also think the older we get the less we have to fight off these infections and viruses. I am ckd stage 5 awaiting dialysis and when I have infection they last twice as long now and I have to have antibiotics for more than a week to get rid of it. Welcome to the forum I might be wrong in thinking that you are a first timer poster but as I have.nt seen you before I think you are. Also do you get the flu jab I very rarely get colds now and I put it down to the flu jab which I have had now every year for about 18 years if you don.t get make sure you do next winter

Liz
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.
TrickyF

Post by TrickyF »

Thanks very much Liz

Yes, I only joined the forum yesterday.

I do have the flu jab every year since I ended up in hospital with it one year!
jbell

Post by jbell »

Hi Tricky welcome to forum. I have stage 5 ckd and yes I find colds much harder to get rid of than I used to and to be honest I think they knock you for six and seem worse than they used to. I find my eGFR can sometimes go down when I have an infection as well, its best to have the flu jab as a dose of flu would be terrible for you. Take care janbell :D
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

As stated above, with un-healthy kidneys your immune system is impaired. A normal immune system attacks and overwhelms many minor infections and we do not notice them.

To help, we can try to make sure we are eating as well as possible e.g. five a day etc., within any limitations our dietician recommends. If at your stage, you do not have a dietician, just eat well.
codyedwardwilliams

Post by codyedwardwilliams »

Feeling cold is one of the side effects if you have kidney problems. Healthy kidneys make the hormone known as erythropoietin, which prompts the body to make oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Kidney disease can interrupt the healthy production of this hormone and cause a decrease in red blood cells, a condition known as anemia. Anemia and kidney disease can result in a variety of symptoms, including constantly feeling cold and shortness of breath.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

codyedwardwilliams wrote:Feeling cold is one of the side effects if you have kidney problems. Healthy kidneys make the hormone known as erythropoietin, which prompts the body to make oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Kidney disease can interrupt the healthy production of this hormone and cause a decrease in red blood cells, a condition known as anemia. Anemia and kidney disease can result in a variety of symptoms, including constantly feeling cold and shortness of breath.
Cody, would you mind not necroing old threads please?

Particularly when you seem sto mistaking cold (the virus) for cold (the feeling)

Thanks.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
hotashel

Post by hotashel »

Hi,

Whenever I get a cold it will last 6-8 weeks when used to be able to get rid of it in 1-2. That's what made my GFR drop in the end. I got told to have the pneumonia vaccination and I wish I hadn't, I felt dreadful for a week and it doesn't just hurt at the site it spreads up and down your arm! Its a one off thing apparently but if it wasn't I wouldn't ever have it again.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Tibbs ...
when English isn't ones first language its easy to make such a simple mistake ...
a little leeway might be given ... maybe ...
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Rik wrote:Tibbs ...
when English isn't ones first language its easy to make such a simple mistake ...
a little leeway might be given ... maybe ...
Fair point - the dig wasn't necessary, though I think Cody comes across as a native speaker.

Ressurecting threads a year old particularly when the Original Poster hasn't been here for a while is unnecessary.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life