Tech Geeks Opinion

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Tech Geeks Opinion

Post by Grey »

Hi, I am about to enter the murky depths of the Tech world. before I continue and just so you know who you are talking to....I started working back then when for a start PC were not even invented. In fact there were no fax machines, no photocopying machines, if you wanted a document in duplicate a poor typist had to type the whole thing using carbon paper. (Any of you youngster's even know what that is ?) Anyway then one day because I worked in an industrial tech environment, someone invented a transistor. So I rushed out and bought books about this new fangled thing and learned all about PNP and stuff like that. No sooner had I got my head around that than this thing called an IC arrived. Could I believe my eyes, one IC could have 10 transistors in that small package, my what was happening to the tech world. I had no sooner got to grips with these I/C's than the first 8 bit computers arrived on the scene. Now don't just assume that you could do things with them, you couldn't because Mr Gates had not yet invented windows so they were just electronic machines with little or no practical use. So I laboured on learning all about CPU's buses and clock speeds etc in an effort to keep up with developing technology. While I was playing catch up Mr Gates and his mates was developing something called "software" that would make it easier to use this new fangled machine. I remember clearly the day soon after they had released their very first version of windows when Mr Gates announced to the world, This machine has 640 K of memory, who on earth will ever need more than that.....Just goes to show. So after that short appraisal of my PC background and a life time after that of trying to keep up with technology, here I sit wanting to buy a new fangled thing called a 2 in 1. So my question for those of you who have managed to actually read all that, I am looking for a neat small device that is a bit like a tablet but actually is a very small (physical size) portable PC. Something I can use in bed while chained to that machine each night, something I can use if and when this apparently very slow system gets round to allocating a new kidney to this old man and I end up in a hospital bed, either using wifi or if necessary through a phone, so I can keep in touch with all my new friends on this site ...Yes including you Jooles. Any comments and suggestions to look at perhaps.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
MidgeMan90

Re: Tech Geeks Opinion

Post by MidgeMan90 »

Haha great read. Maybe you want something like a netbook? Which is like a really small laptop?

Also, I know what all the stuff you mentioned is apart from carbon paper! What is that?

Many regards,

Dan.
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I don't have a 2 in 1, but I have toyed with netbooks & tablets.

The netbook was worse than useless, way too slow. My Blackberry Playbook tablet is also incredibly slow but it holds a lot of files and has an HD screen so is great for films & TV Shows, but very little else.

I bought an iPad Mini for my birthday, and I love it. It goes everywhere with me and gets used a lot, for surfing the net, reading forums, reading books & magazines and of course playing games! It's a great size and light enough to be easily held in one hand which was great when I was hooked into a lot of machines and couldn't get both arms to move together easily. My dad got one, and also got a bluetooth keyboard for easier typing, which he likes a lot. The full size iPad is a bit heavy for one handed use, and a bit cumbersome for portability.

I've not used one of the newer MS Surface devices, but they seem rather expensive.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

There is also the iPad air which is the new lighter version of the full-size iPad. I have had an iPad from the time that they first come out. I love my iPad, rarely use my lap top. If you want more sound, you can get blue-tooth speakers, particularly useful when you want to watch a movie. I do almost everything on my iPad apart from photo-editing and scrap-booking although even that is possible.
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

I read all of your post and remembered all the things in there that you mentioned including carbon paper for typing or making of copies. I use a kindle hd fire which I love it has Wi-Fi and all the things that you could want from a small computer mine is a 8.9 in size. all the Samsung tablets have good reviews and my friend has the google nexus which she says is brilliant.....................x
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi TechGeek-to-be !!!

Well - I agree with tablet choice ( we have a family iPad which was excellent during our recent eighteen hours on the tX ward) but if you want to play DVDs then you'd need a smallish (technical word!) laptop. For years I used a SonyViao which fitted in my handbag and I carried to and fro from school. Now I tend to favour my laptop as it seems to be able to everything I want (except the ironing!) but for travelling, it's the iPad.

Do you need advice on mobile phones too?!!!!!!!!!

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Rik

Post by Rik »

hmm??..
my Samsung net book in in for repair and I'm missing it terribly..
I'm having to put up with a blasted iPad..
yes touch screen etc is good.. but my net book allowed me to do so much more... not regulated to what MrApple says you can use..
a tablet is great if you want to watch a film etc.. plus if you don't have a power point.. then battery time the tablet wins hands down..
but you can watch a film on a net book too.. and the battery is better than a laptop..
plus more.. gimme a net book every time!!
Kenvj

Post by Kenvj »

The Ipad is the only way to - it beats every thing else hands down, also you don't need antivirus. A set of headphones and you can listen to all the music you want. If you want to listen without headphones you can get a Boombox or a Jabra Solemate. It also comes equipped with all the different Ebook readers. You can't go wrong!
Kenvj
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

I would have to go with the general opinion on this thread and recommend an iPad. I'd personally go with the iPad Mini. It does absolutely everything you want and is light and compact. I have one myself and it can pretty much do everything my laptop can.

Regards,

Dan.
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Thanks every one for your comments, great help. So far this is my choice, probably the Surface 2 Pro. Then I may just get the Samsung for my wife, I like them both so much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNlgcawBHs
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Def go for an iPad Mini..

Treated myself to a iPad Mini retina display for Xmas and loving it, very easy to setup and integrate with my laptop as well:)

Do get a decent screencover however, as according to my nephew they are a bugger to repair.
Getting a case/keyboard for my iPad to turn it into a netbook if I need to.

If you DO want to watch DVD's a compact DVDplayer/netbook might be better, but with BBC iPLayer and on demand viewing, I've got more than enough to download to my iPad and view on dialysis.

You probably won't need cellular connection unless your using it to travel away from wifi networks a lot, and even then you can often use a mobile as a modem:)

I used to have a fairly bulky portable DVD player which I'd lug to the dialysis unit.. iPad is soo much more enjoyable, and you only need a bent spoon to make a stand :D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Grey

Post by Grey »

Bent Spoon :lol: How bent is the question .....
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

To an S shape.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Grey

Post by Grey »

That's bent ! :twisted:
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi Grey!
Did the Samsung go down well? How are your ICT skills progressing?!
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015