Council tax reductions for dialysis room

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

Council tax reductions for dialysis room

Post by amanda in CA »

Years ago when I dialyzed in UK I used to get a council tax reduction for using a room of my home for dialysis. does that still apply and how does bedroom tax affect those using a room for dialysis? I am just curious as I was having a discussion with my in-laws about this the other day.
bigbuzzard

Re: Council tax reductions for dialysis room

Post by bigbuzzard »

The so-called 'bedroom tax' (it's not really a tax, though it has that effect on those it applies to) only affects people on housing benefit: if they're deemed to live in a house with more bedrooms than they need, then their benefit is reduced by a certain amount per room (is my understanding). It seems to me like one of this governments crazier ideas (and that's saying something!). The Government claims that the local councils who administer the housing benefit have discretionary funding available to exempt people with special health needs from. There have been many stories in the media of people with disabilities who've had housing benefit reduced even though they do have a clear need for an extra room. I don't know of any kidney patients who've been affected, though I'm sure there are some.

The reduction in council tax when you use a room for dialysis - or storage of dialysis materials - does still apply, to anyone. At least that was the case when I was last on dialysis (APD) during 2012.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I don't know why everyone thinks that this is a completely new idea - I know for a fact that since the late 90's (under a different govt) local authorities can and did use their discretion to limit the amount of support they gave to people in private rental accommodation if they deemed that the accommodation was greater than their need. The big thing now is that there is a set formula and it impacts social housing as well.
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

It does still apply I think, my house was allowed to drop a band due to dialysing and storing supplies. No idea how the bedroom tax effects this sorry.

Regards,

Dan.
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
MandyA

Post by MandyA »

I am on Peritoneal Dialysis, so I dialyse in my bedroom.

My spare room is very small and it's piled up to the ceiling with dialysis supplies.

My Council Tax is reduced by one band.

I applied to the council for this reduction,, and then someone came round to see and take photographs, and find out how many weeks' worth of supplies were delivered at a time. After that, it was very straightforward.

Apparently, if you are not lucky enough to have a spare room, and your supplies are piled up somewhere else, there is no possibility of you getting a reduction in Council Tax.

Mandy
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

The bedroom tax is affecting people on home dialysis, though statistically the numbers must be quite small. The nkf has done some campaigning. From what i read I think some authorities are allowing exemption where the room is being used for dialysis but some aren't.

Such a pointless, nasty piece of legislation.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi
My experience fairly recently (September) was the same as Mandy's - except they didn't take photos, simply looked around my bedroom and the room I now use for storage and my council tax was reduced by a Band too. Actually, my PD team set the wheels in motion by giving me one of their standard letters they use for PD patients to send to my council. The PD team also organised special refuse sacks and additional recycle bins with my local authority. Their help was much appreciated in those early days especially, when it all seems so overwhelming.

Good luck with it all

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
webster

Post by webster »

Yes our council tax went down a band also. Are you on a water meter? Because of the amount of time hand washing our water rates were capped.
reddivine

Post by reddivine »

Many of these replies are PRE the bedroom tax. This will depend on your LA. You will not have to pay if you OWN your home or are over 65. If you rent, and receive Housing Benefit, you will be affected. The LAW as passed by the GOVT says only an "extra" bedroom if there is overnight carer. Nocturnal dialysis? Overwhelming need for bulky equipment and stock? Nada. So you have to pay the 14% differnece. Check out the NKF website, and various FB pages who are very very vocal about this. Its a shit law and hugely unfair to HHD patients. Waves have been made at the Houses of Parliament (see Jman) but no deal from Big Brother so far.........
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

The rebate in council tax applies on privately owned properties where the council deemed a room is used for treatment and nothing else.

The so called Bedroom Tax/spare room subsidy only applies if you have started to rent after 1996

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/regulati ... 41.article

It isn't a new 'tax', but a removal of a subsidy that previously applied.

The theory behind it is sound, to allow people wanting to downsize to get accomadation. The issue is there IS no council built accomadtion, and dialysis patients need an extra room.

@Biggbuzzard

The 'Bedroom tax' is preventing myself and reddivine from finding a suitable property for me to continue home dialysis, and for us to live together.

. 3 bedroom accessible dwellings in Shropshire are few and far . RD has a son, so we need the 3rd bedroom, and yet housing would only reckognise us as a 2 bedroom case. 2 bedrooms with a garage,conservatory space etc might act as a legal loophole, but again hard to come by.

And we're fussy buggers so we do want a garden!

The issue with the 'discretionary funding' is that it its just that, short term and discretionary. You are required to re apply,regularly and with the chance that it will cease, your out of pocket and out on a limb.. So its best avoided.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Really sorry to hear that jman and RD. This is, imo, a pretty senseless piece of legislation in the way that it has been applied. I think even the theory has some flaws. As you say, for many people who are affected, it's simply impossible to move to a smaller place, as they're not there. And I suspect the loophole that has allowed some people who've been in a place since before 1996 will be closed pretty soon.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

You can at least quote a case.
But I'm one of many, some of us went to House of Commons last year, with reps from the BKPA, NKF and members of the all party group for renal, to present the plight (for want of a better word)
I doubt with this wishy washy gov things will change in a hurry. Its election spin season with cheap promises galore.

In a similar manner there's been no renal consultation for the welfare reform, and again this is something the representing bodies are taking to hand.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast