What I miss most about Pre-Diaylsis / TX Life

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooles

What I miss most about Pre-Diaylsis / TX Life

Post by jooles »

Just had an idea after reading some very witty posts ... Let's make each other laugh more...

What do you miss (most) about your pre- dialysis / TX life?

I'm sure many of your answers will begin something like: 'Not having to......' We could score the funniest (top score =10!)

Come on Rheaybou, Dixie, Tibbs, Grey, Bigbuzzard et al - let's her your stories!

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
ORC herder

Re: What I miss most about Pre-Diaylsis / TX Life

Post by ORC herder »

Smoking after a big meal in the winter
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi OCR herder
..... why particularly in the winter?!

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
jooles

Post by jooles »

...not having to impersonate Miley Cyrus 'Twirking' on side of bed during drain pain!

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Ha ha ha Jooles! :lol: Twerking!! I am so sorry! I know your drain pain is no laughing matter, however, the thought of you 'twerking' is pretty amusing!

I have a big fat ZERO to contribute to your thread as, at around 22% GFR, I am still fortunate enough not to have too many symptoms! I guess at least I now know that I have twerking to look forward to! :D
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I dont know what to write to this thread. I guess after we have all gone through such massive changes it has all become the norm!

What I do miss about not being a renal patient either pre or post transplant is discussing my bowel movements with nurses that are young, pretty or young and very pretty.

Dark humour always got me through the tough times, having ankles that look like egg timers due to fluid retention will not be something I will miss/look forward to having in the future!

As for what I miss about my 'normal' life....nothing, I am just going to make the most of this life and really enjoy what I have been given. Give me a day or two and I could dig up some funny moments......In fact I have one story that will take some time to type out. It was the week I had my PD tube fitted and the week some of the nursing staff went on strike in 2011.
It made me smile at the time and is a story I use from time to time to show how resiliant we are.....
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Post tx there is nothing really I miss about my life pre dialysis as I can do pretty much anything I want.

It did occur to me on New Years Eve when I had to use a really lame excuse not to stay at a rather dull party that when I was on PD I had a great excuse that no one questioned and could avoid such things (plus had people feel sorry for me!) ....
jooles

Post by jooles »

Rheaybou - get typing then! Think I may need something light-hearted to read tonight after my first day back at work!!

Dixie - 22?! Enjoy!

Mandy - great to hear.'Look forward to TX! Must admit to having used that excuse myself recently!!

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Jooles - Re 22%, I know, I'm lucky! :D My Dad was a lot younger when his kidneys failed and my younger sister has already had a transplant, so I do feel quite blessed. Seeing them, and following people's progress on here, does make me quite determined to just get on with life, and enjoy it while I can! :D Sometimes I can't help but have short negative moments, where the 'waiting for it to happen' (I've been told it is pretty much inevitable) does get to me a bit, but on the whole I am able to stay mostly positive! For now anyway.....

How was the first day back?? Bet you are knackered!! :|
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi Dixie
Great to hear from you - positivity is the only option really isn't it? Well, here's a little anecdote about my first day back to make you chuckle:

To set the scene: Very boisterous, loud, excitable, very low ability year 9 group.
Topic: Macbeth - Lesson 1
Main Blunder: After being given a microphone to wear by hard-of-hearing student who kindly showed me how to switch it on, I then ask aforesaid noisy student: 'Do you have a knob so that I can switch you off too?"
Reaction: great hysteria from all male students at mention of word 'Knob'
Response: 'O.k, O.k, but can you spell it?'
Reply: 'N-O-B'
Response: 'Can anyone correct that?'
Moral: I may have temporarily lost the plot, but there was definitely a learning opportunity to be had!

That was yesterday. Today they has all forgotten about their knobs and it was on to the Witches!!!

More seriously, now very tired and take my hat off to all those working whilst coping with ESRF. Had a bit of a disaster in the shower this morning too when my 'Activity Pouch' which covers my tube and exit site seemed to let in water. Just hoping I don't wake up with cloudy drain bags tomorrow!

Hope your week is going well.

Jooles
P.S Has anyone heard from Grey? It's been a while since he posted and I'm a tad concerned ....
FSGS
Born 1966
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Rofl Jooles - I do like the description! No wonder you are exhausted, a group like that would test anyone.

Glad to gear you have retained your sense of humour!
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Lol Jooles - you're right! It did make me chuckle! Honestly, I don't know how you do it. A very good friend of mine is also a secondary school English teacher and your story is all too familiar. What are teenage boys like?!? Actually, my friend is from 'down your way' too. She teaches at the Purbeck School. Do you know it?

Re Grey - I too was a tad concerned and was thinking about asking just the same question, only he posted earlier today. You will find his thread on the forum but, to update you, he has had peritonitis. Not good. :( Here's hoping your shower mishap does not cause a similar problem.

Anyway, well done you for getting through a couple of days. Even I have found the return to work this week, after a lovely long two week break, a bit of a shock to the system, so goodness only knows how you lot in the low GFR figures cope!? :?
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi Dixie
So how's your day been today? Thanks for post. Yes, I know of the Purbeck School - quite often meet some of their staff on Moderators' Meeting etc. Good to hear you are still coping with world of work. Have you started dialysis yet? Not sure of what your situation is, but I think we're similar ages and coping with teenagers at home! it's so strange sharing inner most thoughts and problems on this forum and not really knowing much about the 'non-kidney' aspects of peoples' lives. Until I found you on the 'Suggestions for Introducing Ourselves' thread, I thought you were male! Not sure why! I tend to build up a picture based on Username - clearly I'm crap at it!!

Already in bed, awaiting Waterloo Road for some light relief! Then I hope to be able to sleep tonight! My thoughts are mainly with Grey who I hope is on the mend after his shitty Christmas...

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Jooles - bit of a knackering one yesterday, but day off today! :)

Yes, still managing work. Thankfully I get to sit on my arse all day (I am an Accounts Manager), so not really a problem. I suffer in the afternoons a bit somethimes, with tiredness/brain fog (I don't know if this is age related or kidney related!?) and that is sometimes an issue, particular if I am making large bank transfers......there is some potential for quite serious mistakes there.... :| No, not started any dialysis, fortunately for me. The hospital started to look into my husband's suitability as a potential donor for me, with the plan for a pre-emptive living donor transplant, however, my kidney function stabilised and so tests have been delayed. What stage are you at with your cousin from Germany? Is that still a possibility for you?

Yes, looks like we are similar ages. Two of ours have flown the nest now and we just have the one at home - he is the youngest and 21, but acts more like 7........ :roll: The next one, our daughter, who is coming up 23 and then the eldest, who is actually my step son, is coming up 30 and has a baby on the way, so we are going to become grandparents in May..... :D

I know exactly what you mean about getting people's sex wrong on this forum, I do the same! I can assure you though, I am a woman, or I was the last time I looked.....which I try not to do very often... :lol:

Hope you get some sleep tonight Jooles!!
Grey

Post by Grey »

Now that brought a smile to my face. Not long ago it was suggested I was a female....I do like the ladies......but not so much that I would like to be one....That would cause all sorts of confusion in my little brain ! What on earth would I dream about :?
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later