Cathater tube fixing.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Cathater tube fixing.

Post by Grey »

Being new to this, having this tube sticking out my side now leaves me with a problem. I was wondering just what ingenious methods others have found to secure that tube so that it does not get entangled or heaven help us get yanked out during daily life activities. Currently I have it taped to my side, more or less, at first the whole tube had to be covered but now bits still show, anyway what do others do. Has anyone sewed some velcow on their side and made a little bag to hold it intact or what :twisted:
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
MandyA

Re: Cathater tube fixing.

Post by MandyA »

Hi Grey,

I'm not sure if I can explain this clearly in words, but I'll try....

My catheter is on my left, so you'd need to reverse these directions if yours comes out on the right.

My PD nurses want the catheter to zigzag on the way out, so that if it should accidentally get pulled, the zigzag unravels, rather than pulling directly on the exit site.

So once I've cleaned and put the antibacterial cream on the exit site, I make the catheter run horizontally towards the left. I fix it in position with a 9cm by 15cm tegaderm dressing, centred on the exit site, with the long side horizontal.(I tried mepore dressings, but they kept coming off.)

Then I fold another dressing in half lengthways. and cut two slits about 1.5cms long in it, without removing the backing. The slits need to be slightly less far apart than the length of the twist clamp. I stick one of the long sides of the second dressing on top of the first dressing, and slightly above it, so that the edges overlap. I then bend the catheter back, so it's now running horizontally towards my right, and put it under the second dressing, and stick the rest of that dressing down.

Finally, I bend the catheter back again, so it's running towards the left again, and tuck the twist clamp into the first slit, and out of the second slit, so that a kind of pouch is holding it in place.

Little loops of tube do stick out on the right and on the left, and it does take a bit of practice to cut the slits exactly the right size so they hold the twist clamp snugly.

However, this method does work, and has survived small people running up to me and throwing their arms around my waist or pulling my clothes.

I think some people do have special pouches to put their catheters in..... maybe one of them will let you know where to get them.

And some people apparently just tuck their catheters into their pants!

Best wishes,
Mandy
webster

Post by webster »

My husband used a money wallet belt. He bought from Matalan a flesh coloured belt, the ones you have on holiday to hide your cash! He made a hole in the back of the fabric and fed his tube into it. It made his tube secure. and was able to carry on day to day routines without the worry of catching his tube.

Good luck
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Blimey Mandy that sounds complicated! My unit asked that we have a small dressing to cover the exit site (other units think it should be uncovered to keep dry (once healed of course))and then loop the catheter end around and tape so that the end is above the exit site. I don't think any unit requires the whole catheter to be covered but just secure it with enough tape so you feel comfortable. At first I remember taping it in several places but as you get more relaxed so you use less! It is actually very difficult to dislodge but it is only human to be concerned.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Just remembered a tip one of the nurses gave me (but didn't use it for long as the tape was just fine) - use a mepore dressing with two slits cut in the non sticky part (vertically) and then you can loop the tube through and back rather than using tape. That is as well as the one you have on the exit site - it doesn't really matter where it is as long as it is comfortable, and of course cut the slits before you put the dressing on yourself!

A word of warning Mandy - I developed an mild allergy to the tegaderm dressings for some time after over using them when on a beach holiday (I had them on all day so I could swim when I wanted) - it did seem to pass but jolly inconvenient as it meant that I kept on getting a rash if the tegaderm was on for longer than 5 mins or so.
Duker5

Post by Duker5 »

Hi Grey,

I was speaking to a young woman on dialysis back in August (when I first started dialysis) and she told me (and showed me) a special belt she'd been given by the renal outpatients ward made specifically to attach the tube to so it is held secure through out your day to day activities.

More info on them is here http://www.davita.com/treatment-options ... nts/t/7493 it does mention you have to buy them but she was given one for free in renal outpatients.

Hope this helps a little.