Definitely One for the Girls!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

Eh

Post by nycpetit »

Well, I've never missed mine, and got it the day after surgery as well, with a catheter in and a nice little infection to go along with it all. how fun, bloating and cramps at the same time! An incision, and all that jazz. The doctors were like, "huh?" how in the world did that happen.

Nope, never missed it all my life, even with a super low hemoglobin of 6.0 and a few years at about 9. Befuddles even the best of them!
When we offer a hand, others are lifted.
marie

Post by marie »

Hi i.m 44 had my kidney near 6 years now. periods where nearly none existant while on pd for 7 years but normal now. i think though im starting pre menopausal symptons Horrible!! feel like ive only one good week in four! irritability, migraines tiredness! docs say desogestrel not compatible with my tacrolimus! can ayone else give me some handy hints or another med suggestion to try? advice greatfully recieved. (before someones murdered!! lol)

Thanks mc
marie devine
Helen Rambaut

one for girls

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Had a merino coil inserted while on PD. Post tx still have it in and regularly remind renal consultant that I have it. It was ok pre tx and seems to be ok post tx. I am on tacrolimus.

Helen
Fabrette

Post by Fabrette »

Hi girls,

I'm resurrecting this old post cos I'm having a few probs and would like to know if anyone out there has experienced anything similar?

About 4 months ago I skipped a period for the first time in 14 years since I was last pregnant. I knew I couldn't be pregnant cos I was sterilised back in 1996. Anyways- a month overdue I had a really heavy painful period. Since then I've had a period every other week for three months and its driving me nuts!!

I saw my GP yesterday who is sending me for a scan (in case of fibroids) and a blood test (to check hormone levels) but I don't have any of the other usual symptoms to go with these two diagnoses (I'm 44 btw).

The other thing she mentioned was my ability to form blood clots, she asked if I bleed a lot and yes I must say I do, if I get a cat scratch or a scab of any sort it bleeds like crazy for ages!! She seemed to think it could all be linked to the CKD (I'm at 14%). Has anyone else heard anything like this and if so, did you get to the bottom of it??? I'm getting really fed up as I can't use tampons and the sanitary towels are making me sore!!!
My one life added to my cat's nine make a perfect ten.
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

When I hit about 15% function I assumed my periods would slowly disapear but in fact I got them more reguarly and more ad hoc. I used to be every 28 days exactly (more or less) but they increased to every 2-3 weeks now. I have to carry tampons with me all the time because I never knew when I was coming on. They are not very heavy but last for 6-8 days where before they was 4-5 days.

Just started CAPD for the 1st time and yet to see if it affects my cycle.
Last edited by geduramah on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k
Helen Rambaut

one for the girls

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Addition to my post above. I had a tcre & merino coil because I started getting a period every two weeks. On pd as they put iron into me I was losing it again.

My gynae said he thought that there was link with CKD to period problems.

Later found some research done at St Mary's in late 90s suggesting women with CKD put up with heavier periods. Wish I'd known about this earlier in my life! Because of course who can you ask? What is normal etc?

Helen
Fabrette

Post by Fabrette »

I think they really need to do more about this possible link to heavier/irrregular periods. I mean, if you're on PD or HD and they stop (assuming you're past child bearing or don't intend to have any kids) then I guess most women will breathe a sigh of relief but for those of us who are having the inconvenience and uncertainty of irregular and heavy periods it's a real pain but no-one from the renal teams has ever mentioned it to me and when I did ask they just looked at me as if they hadn't a clue what I was talking about!!.

A friend of mine had an endometrial ablation which sounded truly awful and now has a coil which has cured her problem. But she didn't have kidney problems so is our situation different? All I know is I'd really like to get back to normal- my poor hubby doesn't know what to do with himself - He's been out of luck now for four months!!!! xx
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

Not on dialysis yet, but having phenomenally heavy bleeding. I've had 2 merina coils fitted withing the last six months, but I bled continuously while they were in place and ejected both of them (I refused a third) - not much could have stayed in place through such heavy bleeding. They also caused nasty cramps.

Currently the bleeding is painless and regular, controlled by norethisterone, but still very heavy. I'm having an endometrial ablation next month (not looking forward to it I must admit,but something must be done, as I'm prone to anaemia - HB varies between 7 and 10)

I'm 45 with IgAN. Kidney function 15%ish.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I have to be honest, I think it's entirely possible that docs will blame CKD cos it's easier than looking for other causes that will require more investigation...

I've not met a single doctor, neph or otherwise, who has been able to give me any authoritative info on how PKD, CKD or Transplant impacts on periods or contraception; the most confident thing I've heard is that it should make no difference?!
Fabrette

Post by Fabrette »

Hi all,

I had an appointment at the gynae clinic today and they took an endometrial biopsy while I was there- my oh my did that hurt!! And bleed!!! I was sitting in a pool of blood when they'd finished which was quite embarrassing but the shock of it left me shaking!! Anyways, they suggested an endometrial ablation under local anaesthetic rather than risk a general due to my low kidney function. Not looking forward to it one bit but if it means my periods will be lighter and I'll be less anaemic I guess it will be worth it.

They suggest you need to take Nsaids afterwards for the cramps and pain but renal patients have to avoid them don't we? Can anyone out there recommend a pain killer that we are okay to take?

xxx :)
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Fabrette wrote:They suggest you need to take Nsaids afterwards for the cramps and pain but renal patients have to avoid them don't we? Can anyone out there recommend a pain killer that we are okay to take?
Grrrrr it's one of the fundamentals that kidney patients can't take NSAIDs and I still hear people being recommended them, so annoying!!

Paracetamol is fine - I've also been given cocodamol and various forms of codeine and obviously tramadol for severe pain.

Best of luck to you x
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

lol keith
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k