Vaccines for Covid 19

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Skm

Re: Vaccines for Covid 19

Post by Skm »

Chris,

Don’t hold your breath.
Mine is now a couple of weeks overdue.
My GP claims to know nothing about it. My renal unit (St Helier) is not interested.
Unfortunately I’d not kept the letter about my third primary dose.

I think my problem is we are semi shielding again ( well being careful). I have things I’d like to do and a life to live. Even with an extra vaccination I’d continue to be careful but it would be so nice not to be telling people “I’d love to but……” all the time.

Let us know how you get on.

Sue
Transplant May 2015
morzov

Post by morzov »

Sorry to hear people are having difficulties accessing their 4th or booster dose.

No way GPs should plead ignorance as they have all been written to by NHS and I share the frustration regarding renal units, who have also been written to but if anything like mine have taken zero interest in the vaccination status of their patients even though I have reminded them of their obligation to send a letter confirming eligibility.

Fortunately my GP has come good and I am due to get my booster on Saturday.

My suggestion for anyone still struggling would be to look at the Kidney Care UK website which is an excellent resource and if necessary ring them = I have found them to be extremely helpful.

Best of luck to everyone.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Yes, agree about the Kidney Care website, they're doing an awesome job!

Re: how my experience was - I went to my renal unit for a blood test then on the way out stopped by the walk-in vaccination centre. I had already had a text from the hospital inviting me for the extra jab which came about three months after my third dose. It said "Upon arrival please refer to a member of staff and tell them you are a transplant patient who has been invited to have a Covid-19 Booster (please show this text message if asked) and we will prioritise you to the front of the queue".

Which they did - two very nice army chaps delivered my 4th dose of Pfizer, and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

My renal unit and trust (GSTT) seem to be really on the ball and I'm so grateful! I haven't discussed or had any interactions with my GP whatsoever about covid vaccinations during the pandemic, it's all been directly from my unit.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Plus I just checked and amazingly it's already appearing in my Covid Pass app on my phone, too!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
morzov

Post by morzov »

Glad you had that result Thumps.

Bit of a postscript to my experience.

My regime has been AZ. AZ followed by Pfizer at beginning October 2021. ThereforeI was just 3 months post that 3rd dose.

Have to say I was slightly uneasy at getting the booster at 3 months when the recommended period was previously 6 months and in the USA recommends a 5 month interval.

Anyhow I went to the GP. Quite a queue of people in the reception area and I asked the receptionist almost in passing whether they were vaccinating with Pfizer.

Answer came back No it’s Moderna!

At this point I bailed out. Maybe I’m being over cautious but Why take the risk of having a course of mixed vaccines which I,m not aware any other transplant patient has had when I,m surely going to be able to get a Pfizer booster somewhere else.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Gosh Thumps, that’s amazing.
Which is your renal unit?

I’m still being turned away. Vaccination centre say email us ?.! (They don’t give their email address). GP still not replying. I’ve been told they are short staffed but isn’t everyone. Renal unit not interested. Say ask your GP!! Can’t decide if I just give up. I am very very unimpressed (but I do feel better for having this rant).

Sue
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I'm at Guys Hospital, have been since my transplant. They've been pretty good.
Skm

Post by Skm »

I’ve had my 4th vaccination!
No thanks to either my GP or renal unit.
A contact was able to give me an email address of the clinic organiser. - from then on there was no problem. A smooth no problem process. I got home to find an email from my GP (what timing) to say they knew nothing about 4th vaccinations and would contact patients sometime in the future when they knew more! :roll: :roll:
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Gosh that's poor from your GP. Glad you've had your dose though!
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

I'm at Guy's as well.

Phoned the unit and they said just come to the walk in centre at Guy's and they will have all my details.

I did and in and out in 5 mins.

Got the text today inviting me. A bit late but there you go.

Chris
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!