Height issues

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Height issues

Post by Pam »

Hi all,
I have been wondering for awhile if any of you who had tx as a child have any retardation of your growth due to dialysis and/or kidney disease. I am told that your kidneys have a lot to do with bone growth. I am the same height I was at age 12 when my kidney disease was first diagnosed-4 ft 9 inches! I also have small features-hands, feet, etc. Needless to say as I was growing up it was a real burden as people thought I was a child at the age of 25. :roll: I even once had a woman argue with me about my age-she insisted that I couldn't be older than 12! :evil: It would be nice if people didn't judge you by your height or appearance, but they do.
I had a lot of employment opportunities where I believe I was judged by how I looked and passed over for the job. :? :evil: You could tell that they were suprised when I walked into the room! Thus, when I did get hired, I worked twice as hard as an "average" person to prove that I could do the job. It is not enough having a chronic health condition, much less having to deal with other people's perceptions of you!
Now that I am older and have white hairs mixed in with my natural color (and a few wrinkles!):wink: :lol: people do not make faux pas as much, but I still get stared at. I guess they cannot decide how old I really am. I'm a hit with the little kids though! :lol: :wink: I don't mind short jokes either-in fact, I tell a lot of them! :lol:
Just wondering if any of you have had experiences like this....
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I not exactly tall I'm 5'7" or so but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 17 and at that stage I still had 50% function. I was still growing up until about 20ish but I dont think that it had any effect on my height, for one thing my brother is a bit taller than me and I am 5 years older but he has had kidney problems since birth??

mike
Elaine

height & kidney failure

Post by Elaine »

Hiya yeh have seen quite few kids who had probs with growth etc cos kidney failure. Nephs also warned us about this but luckily my daghter had her growth spurts b4 severe kidney failure so shes 5 ft 8 and im the one 5ft1 n shrinkin!!! lol :shock: I dont have kidney probs!!

good luck 2 u and yeh not fair wen people 'judge' you on looks etc!!!

best wishes Elaine ;)
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Shortstops & bean poles..

Post by JMan »

Yes the both the kidneys and the drugs used to treat related problems affect growth..

Kidneys have some affect/control over the body's growth hormones (I'm not that knowledgeable about this aspect, ask an endocrinologist.)

The drugs (in particular steroids & certain immune suppressants) affect growth in a negative way, thus children with impaired renal function may not grow as fast as their peers.

Personally I've managed to attain my full height.. I put this down in part to the fact that my immune suppression was totally withdrawn between the ages of about 14 & 23 whilst on dialysis and with no (physically removed) kidneys of any description. This now puts me at about 5' 6" ish.. (realises that Rachael is taller me!) My consultant as a child always maintained that I would reach my full height, which I seem to have.

I do know of one friend who was offered/considered growth hormone injections to help him attain his full height and several of my friends are shorter than they might have been had they had fully functioning kidneys.

The 'youthful' looks can be both a blessing & a curse.. Its easier for me as a male as some facial hair makes me look older.. Clean shaven I can get away or get mistaken for a 'younger lad' LOL
I have in the past been asked for ID in bars, or asked how old I was.. On the other hand I've also been charged discount rates! LOL though that happens rarely these days! :)

HTH :)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Hi. Like Rachael in the UK, I grew before my kidney issues. In fact, I kind of had the opposite issues of Pam. I was quite tall, and way over 5 ft. in 5th grade! my face is youthful, but I was able to get away with appearing way way older then I was. A little makeup, grown up clothes, and at 14, I was able to look 18!

I'm now abt 5' 7", and have leveled i think. I'm thin which makes me appear even taller, which is fine. i can dress up my height or dress it down.

had i not had kidney issues would ihave been taller? maybe. maybe not. i have very tall genes. (mom is 5' 10", dad is 6'), but i'm fine the way i am. I just turned 17, and I suppose I'm done with my growing.

~rachel
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
George

Post by George »

I'm nearly as round as i'm tall. Well i'm not as round as I used to be. Image Image
Good thing come in little packages...then again so does poison. :roll: :wink:
Angel

Height issues

Post by Angel »

I have had kidney failure since birth and dialysis since aged 6. Now at 29 I am a small but perfectly formed 5' 3/4". I am quite happy with this as I was told I would only make about 4' 8". I put it down to having had EPO from 13 years old and am sure that made a difference. It can of course lead to some interesting situations in bars, clubs and every day shopping. Not least in relationships if your partner is considerably taller than you-but I find boxes and chairs come in handy in these instances. :lol:
Rik

Post by Rik »

Pam I have suffered kidney issues since birth ... and my particular type of illness has a symptom of under development and lacking in nourishment in childhood ....
I do feel that like many others with my illness that my growth has ... shall we say ... under performed ... for example my sister is 5'1/2" ... I am constantly wondering how tall I would have been if I wasnt stunted due to my illness ...
OK so I know I still have to duck when walking through some doorways and have no problem reaching the top shelf on the magazine rack ... but 6'4" isnt really that tall in this day and age ...
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

I stopped growing for about 3 or 4 years when I first went into kidney failure - but fortunately picked up again. I'm 5'5" tall but from a family where 5'9 - 6' is average!
Cano fit into kids clothes which is a shame as they are tax free!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Pam:

I think you know my story but for the record I'm 5'7" (170cm). Now that is a bit under avarage for the American Male but I am taller than my father and my grandfather on my mother's side. So I'm guessing I'm full height. However, my bones are a bit skinny. I can't wear a man's watch without adding an "extra" hole.

For those who don't know I had my transplant at 13, I started dialysis at age 11.

I did look young though. I do remember going into a bar with my friends. I was the only one old enough to drink and I was the only one to get carded!

I'm not sure how that helps as you get older. We can take a poll. There is a picture of my at www.quartercenturyclub.org under menbers. Look at the picture (under Bill) and do not read the bio (that will give away my age) then decide how old you think I am.

Bill
Pam

Post by Pam »

Bill, I'm so glad you have joined the "geezers" :lol: :roll: of kidney transplantation!!!
When I saw your picture, I thought you looked about 40 or so...! I have got to get my photo in there soon... :roll: I think it is fun to see the people you are "chatting" with over cyberspace...it makes it more personal.
I think it is a good idea to take some sort of poll about the issues of appearance and how it affects us.
Take care and welcome to (as our President George Franklin says) "the best Club in the world"!
Best wishes,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28