Blood pressure drugs - what are you taking?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thumps

Blood pressure drugs - what are you taking?

Post by Thumps »

Hello!

I've been fine on just Bisoprolol for the last 15(?) years but it's no longer enough (partly I suspect due to my polycystic liver now making its presence felt).

I re-started Doxazosin a couple of weeks ago, as it was what I took before my Tx, but it's made me super drowsy and dizzy so I need to stop and try something else.

I gather that ACE Inhibitors (-april drugs) or Angiotensin Receptor blockers (-artans) are most common. Are you taking any? What side effects did they have? I'm avoiding calcium channel blockers (-ipines) as they made my legs swell up like tree trunks last time I used them!

Anyone care to share experiences?
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Rik

Re: Blood pressure drugs - what are you taking?

Post by Rik »

Hi Thumps

I'm on enalapril.. have been for ages.. no side effects that I can report..
I tried losatin before that.. but when standing up my blood pressure would drop.. as did I once or twice!!
hope that helps..
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I've been on various things for transplants. Because my BP is low they tried to get me on Ivabradine a 'funny current' blocker to maintain my remaining heart function (although it didn't seem to bring it up it. Basically turned me into a zombie!
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Thanks both. Looks like it's time to give the -prils a try!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!