Claiming benefits

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Oldboy

Claiming benefits

Post by Oldboy »

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum but not to kidney failure,my native kidneys failed 17 years ago and I got a live related transplant from my sister in law 14 years ago, this is now failing badly and I shall soon be back on dialysis.Last time my kidneys failed I was able to continue to work full time throughout my time on dialysis, this time I have severe anemia with a very low red blood count and am unable to work, I'm a self employed decorator and just walking up stairs leaves me breathless.

I've been living on my savings for the past 6 months and a small income from my house which I rented out after I moved in with my girlfriend.My savings are almost gone and the income from renting the house ( just over £400 after agent fees ) is not enough to live on. I am reluctantly having to consider claiming benefits which at nearly 60 years old I've never done.Does anyone know what if anything I'd be entitled to, does the income from renting out the house mean I'm not entitled? I want to work but until I'm in better health that won't be possible, I'm hoping that when I start dialysis I will feel better and be able to resume some level of work but at present that's just not possible.

I'd be grateful for any advice as I'm clueless having always worked - thank you.
Thumps

Re: Claiming benefits

Post by Thumps »

Hello

I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount about the system as I'm still fortunate to have a working tx. However the National Kidney Federation has a helpline for such things, they may be better placed to help https://www.kidney.org.uk/help-with-financial-support

The Citizens Advice Bureau also do good work in this area. Wishing you good luck.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Oldboy

Post by Oldboy »

Thanks for the reply and link, I had hoped someone on here would be in a similiar situation and be on some form of benefit and be able to advise, if no such person presents I'll try the helpline or CAB.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Traffic on the forum has dropped off a lot since the pandemic, but if you search (top right hand corner) you might find something useful? Hope someone else has better knowledge. All the best
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Louise36

Post by Louise36 »

It's very difficult to say yes or no without more information.
The Government benefit pages are really useful, if you have time take a moment to look at universal credit, PIP, and ESA. It's not as complicated as people think.
If you've got brain fog and can't face it I recommend you get some help and definitely get help with PIP form if you choose to apply. You could try www.kidneycareuk/advocacy.
There are lots of other ways to get financial help, fuel vouchers, food banks, energy deals with your supplier, might even be a benevolent fund linked to your trade. Just need to do a bit of digging on the Internet. Good luck 👍
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi Oldboy..

You need to give either Kidney Care UK or the National Kidney Federation (who runs a helpline) a call. Its a Freephone number during office hours

https://www.kidney.org.uk/Pages/Categor ... -resources

They can help and direct you and are experienced on info specific to those on dialysis.
They can also help with grants and emergency financial support.

CAB are good, but don't understand kidney failure.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk is an online resource that has excellent guides and a 'calculator' which helps you work out which benefits your entitled to.

Claiming stuff isn't something to do alone, as it can be quite a turmoil. Don't be put off 'cos you've never needed to before'

The NKF have a support and advocacy service should the Department fo Work and Pensions give you hassle! OR Department of Wankers & Pricks as I call em!

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Get-Support is another good site to look at.

All the best.

James
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Just finished claim for Attendance Allowance, I think the form is around 35 pages!

I gathered, from another patient they were getting this benefit, we will have to see how it pans out.

Dialysis is one of the examples on the form but I have other problems as well.
The form is available at https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
There is some guidance on the website and the form to print out, you can fill the form in on the computer but you have to print it out to sign it.

Basically, you list your health problems, how do you cope, and what help you have, the form sets out to trap you by asking the same questions several times. My wife had Parkinson's and I was her carer until I became too frail, I got this benefit for her OK.