Spare my blushers.....most embarassing moment....just a bit

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

George

Spare my blushers.....most embarassing moment....just a bit

Post by George »

We all have done or said something that embaressed us, I had my moment last Saturday on H.D. Read my story and tell me yours.

I went for my HD on Saturday. When I got to my seat I set up my lap top, plugged it in and got settled down with a pillow behind my back and one for my arm. I was then put on the machine. I then started playing a DVD (Not that kind :wink: )

After about half an hour I got a sudden warm sensation going from the left side of my lower back through towards the right side. I had never had this sensation on dialysis before so I told the nurse about it. They checked my temprature and that was ok, so the set the machine to put my blood back at a lower temprature. But although generally I was cooler I still had this warm feeling in my back. I told them I was not in any pain, nor did I feel unwell. The nurse then took some blood to send of to the lab for checking. She also asked if I wanted to see a doctor, I said I think I had better. (Now , you may not know me but I am a little assertive. )

The nurse returned shortly after and told me that the doctor was very busy and was unlikely to see me before my dialysis ends..some 2 and half hours to go. This sensation was by now getting quite hot and I was becoming worrried as you do, so I told the nurse to tell the doctor if they don't come and see me I will go straight to casualty after my dialysis and she will have to see me there. She passed the message on and told me the doctor was not too pleased but would try to get to me. (Another thing that was going through my mind was my condition HSP where artiries and blood vessels are prone to ulcerate or burst) As the session went on my back became hotter and hotter. The nurse checked my back and confirmed it was indeed hot. The blood test came back with nothing to show, and I was not feeling ill at all. Then with 20 minutes to go the doctor turned up. I told her everything that had happened and said I don't feel ill, but if she felt my cup of tea (that had just come) that is how hot my back felt. The doctor then asked me to lean right forward to see if I had the rash that often came with a HSP outbreak. As I leant forward and the doctor examined me she immediately found the problem....

:oops: :oops: :oops: The cause of my problem was the transformer from my lap top had slipped behind the pillow at my back and it was the heat from this that had caused my symtoms... :oops: :oops:

The doctor then told the nurses off for not finding it....I see the funny side of it, but it will cost me a fortune in chocies to appologise. :oops: :oops:
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Oh George
What a way to brighten my morning had to put me cup of tea down in case I spilt it laughing
And you always get on doctor don’t you!!
Take care George
Sue
Xx
Rik

Post by Rik »

George ...
you are a pillock!!!!
but thanks for making me burst out laughing in the middle of my office
:0)
you had better make that a BIG box of chocolates!!!!!!
Elaine

LOL George ;) :D

Post by Elaine »

U made me laff George ah well good u can hav a laff whilst on haemo;)

speak 2 u soon ((((hugz)))))))) Elaine & Rach :roll: :wink: :lol:
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

Thanks, George, for your great posting. I'm all for humour on this board; the more we laugh the less will dialysis bother us.

But for all the humour in your story it does point up a huge defect in our renal services - that is, the almost imposssibility of getting to see a doctor while on dialysis. While yours turned out to be only a virtual pain in the back, it could have been a symptom of something a lot more serious. And yet the doctor, before knowing what was the problem, expressed annoyance at your insistence on receiving attention. During my 8 years on dialysis I have been in need of attention several times, twice requiring immediate admission as an in-patient and on almost every occassion I had to wait until after dialysis had finished - once for four hours afterwards! - before a doctor came. In the USA, I believe, it is illegal for a doctor not to be immediatley available at all times in a dialysis centre. I've dialysis in France, in Switzerland, in Spain and in Portugal and in all these places a doctor was available. In Majorca on one occassion a doctor actually shared with nurses the putting on and putting off of patients. And in Dublin I had scarcely settled myself on a bed [yes! a bed, a real bed: all patients were given a choice of chair or bed and all but one opted for the bed] before a doctor appeared, like a genie vapourising from a lamp, to enquire if I needed any attention. And during the course of dialysis he made another round of patients!
George

Post by George »

I dare say your right oldborris, medical care accross the uk is just a lottery. A young man who lives in the wakefield area has been denied important drugs for ms treatment because of this, now this poor man has lost his vision in one eye...all because of cost.

Anyway, I wrote a poem to put in a card I had made for the nurses. The card is a charicture of me in my chair cooking and sweating holding a transformer and saying Oops! This is the poem..all my own work.

To the Doctors and Nurses on ward 5o
I must confess your work is rather nifty
On Saturday last I did ask
To see the doctor oh! so swiftly

As I started to get warm and cook
You endeavoured to have a good look
Oh! What’s the matter with me?
No cause could be found
So you sent the doctor around
To sort out this problem for me

Two hours had passed
Oh! What a sad story
I was getting worried
Me thinking all things, gruesome and gory

Then the doctor came, looking for glory
As I told her my hot sad story
As fast as a flea, the doctor could see
What was really the matter with me?

As I played with my Lap Top
Getting first warm then hot
It was found that the damn transformer
Was getting warmer and warmer
And was actually cooking me.

George Asquith
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi George
Well you went and did it again!!!!!
Made me smile on a bleak day ………………………THANKS m8

Just hope the poem works and every nurse + doctor who was on last Saturday Laugh with you…….and us
Take care
Sue
Xx

:roll:
Andy

Post by Andy »

Well George u really did make me laugh!!! U fool!!!! (silly nurses also 4 not noticing DUH!!!!!!)

lol. U made me smile:D
Andy
Hal

Post by Hal »

George you made me laugh my ass off. Great poem as well.

Take Care,

Hal :roll: :roll: :o
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

That was very cool George. I had a good laugh. Thank you!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

[quote="oldborris"]Thanks, George, for your great posting. I'm all for humour on this board; the more we laugh the less will dialysis bother us.

But for all the humour in your story it does point up a huge defect in our renal services - that is, the almost imposssibility of getting to see a doctor while on dialysis.

SNIPPED [/quote]

Very good point oldborris.. It frequently seems to me that we are getting second class renal services compared to may of our feelow european citizens.

I haven't dialysed in many places but I have done in spain, and found it to be apparanlty more efficient and far more professional than anything I've seen in the UK
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast