PD holidays from the US and Medicaire

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

PD holidays from the US and Medicaire

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I am now starting my 4th year of PD and during that time the insurance that my husband gets via his work has been coughing up the payments. Now they are telling me that I need to see if I am Medicaire eligible. previously my social worker had looked into it for me and said that I wasn't because my husband hand paid enough contributions (at the time we had been in the US about two years but have now been here for over five). The thing is I am planning a trip back to the UK to see my family later this year and there has never been a problem getting the supplies paid for by my insurance, althoguh Baxter said that it is usual to pay for dialysis supplies when overseas, something to do with they way it is billed, but then they mentioned Baxter Global Dialysis and I never was sure whether it was paid for or not as I decided not to travel last year. Has anyone living in the US who is on PD and on Medicaire travelled abroad and if so, who paid for the supplies, was it Medicaire or out of pocket? Thanks in advance for your replies