Bleeding Ulcer one week postTX

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooles

Bleeding Ulcer one week postTX

Post by jooles »

Hello
Has anyone out there had experience or got any knowledge of treatment for a bleeding ulcer one week post TX?
My brother (FSGS) is in hospital following his second TX - the donor kidney is a good match but hasn't woken. He was meant to have a biopsy yesterday but his BP was too high. Today he had a blood transfusion and then an endoscopy to look for signs of internal bleeding. They have found an ulcer (which he had suspected weeks ago) and now he has been told that there are' difficult decisions to be made'. He hasn't asked further questions - I'm sure he cannot cope with hearing the answer. I'm guessing this means they have to treat the ulcer, thus cannot give him steroids he would need to get the kidney going .... and therefore will lose the kidney.
Does anyone have any experience of ulcer treatment immediately post-TX?
Thanks
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
wagolynn

Re: Bleeding Ulcer one week postTX

Post by wagolynn »

I would ask your brother if you or other family member can discus this with the doctors on his behalf, if he agrees that will allow the doctors to discus this with that family member present.
If he agrees, the whole problem can then be discussed, with him, and the family member, this way between you the right questions can be asked.

The kidney not immediately starting is not a good sign, because they are able to test them these days prior to transplant but I don't think all is lost at this stage.

Best wishes for your brother.
jooles

Post by jooles »

Thanks - although from my own experience I know that DCD kidneys often do not 'wake up' immediately often delayed for days sometimes weeks. It's the ulcer and bleeding that worries me. I live a long way away, so can't discuss his condition face-to-face with medics.
I hope you are keeping well - it's a few years since I've posted but I remember you!
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Skm

Post by Skm »

Hi Jooles,

Lovely to hear from you again. I hope all is going well with your transplant. I followed your trials and tribulations 5 years ago and received my transplant about 6 months after you.

I guess I’m a bit late in replying to your post?
I would guess that they would try to treat your brothers ulcer with medication, but some of the medication given to stop rejection (prednisolone) can predispose to ulcers so they need to look to see if this is needed or if other drugs can be given.
I’m sure I had gastritis (the stage before an ulcer) in hospital post transplant as the nurses on the drug round insisted on giving me the prednisolone at 6am on an empty stomach. Fortunately my stay was short and I corrected this once home.

Hope your brother is now home and doing well.
Sue

(Was SKM2345 but got logged out and had to re register on this forum)
Transplant May 2015