Tieing off fistula after transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

laina55

Tieing off fistula after transplant

Post by laina55 »

Hi everyone I have been lucky enough to have had a transplant over 6 years ago and remain ok (fingers crossed). But for the last several months my fistula arm feels very heavy and aches like toothache day & night. I saw very nice doc at the QE yesterday who scanned my arm and said my arm is patent and veins are a good size.
He offered me a chance to tie off my fistula allowing for other places to make a new one if I ever have to go back on dialysis. Has anyone on here done this ? I would greatly appreciate some advice many thanks :)
wagolynn

Re: Tieing off fistula after transplant

Post by wagolynn »

Whilst I have not been in your situation, looking around it would appear there could be advantages for your heart in tying off but I cannot find any firm information on that.

One interesting comment I came across was, rather than tying off, why not reconstruct with a future fistula in mind, I am unsure if this has been done or is just a thought.
It may be worth asking your surgeon about this.

Otherwise, I would tend to go with the surgeons recommendation, if it was me.

Best wishes.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi ...
I suffered from 'stealing' with my fistula some years after my transplant ...
which meant my heart was having to work harder just to get my blood around the rest of my body ...
and if I stood up too quickly I would get light headed and/or fall over ...
I was given the chance to tie mine off by my team or to reduce the flow ...
my choice was to have it reduced ... I am still of the mind that I might need it again some day ...
and even though I'm coming up to my 16th Tx anniversary this summer ...
it's still a fully functioning and has been described as a text book fistula even after being reduced ...
hope that helps ...
laina55

Post by laina55 »

Thanks for your help, I wasn't offered the chance of a reduction but I will check that with my consultant.
Notso

Post by Notso »

There is research suggesting that long term, av fistulas may cause cardio problems and in particular, thickening of the left ventricle.
This is relevant to me as I have mild hypertrophy of the left ventricle and will soon be having a kidney transplant. I am seeing my nephrologist on Tuesday and will be seeking advice from her.
AllenC

Post by AllenC »

Wondering if others have had their fistula tied off?
I'm having the same problem as the original poster...pain/aching in the fistula arm, and sometimes a severe sharp pain where the fistula was created.
My consultant/surgeon has agreed to tie it off leaving the option to create another in the upper arm if needed.
No guarantees it will stop the pain, but that is the likely outcome.
I'm interested to here if others were successful in pain reduction.
AllenC

Post by AllenC »

Well....it's done. Had the fistula tied off this afternoon.
My consultant did say it may take time before I feel the benefit. Time will tell.
Will report back as and when if others interested.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Allen..
glad you've had it done..
let's hope it does the job!!
Notso

Post by Notso »

I am 4 weeks post transplant and my nephrologist has already mentioned tieing off my fistula at a later date, all going well. He advised my of a very recent study showing that it is better for the left ventricle as well as having a positive effect on the actual transplant.
I should add that I have had a dream run with a kidney from my brother and that they like to be pretty satisfied that the kidney will kick on prior to doing it.
AllenC

Post by AllenC »

Reporting back as promised.
I can honestly say having had the fistula tied off it was very successful.
The constant pain and aching has completely gone. Just occasionally I get a slight twinge, but nothing of great concern.