Switching to generic tacro....

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bette2

Switching to generic tacro....

Post by Bette2 »

My unit have just told me that they will be switching everyone from Prograf to the generic tacro Adoport.

Whilst I am happy to take (and have!) any generic paracetamol, antibiotics etc I was told by the transplant nurse when first transplanted that Prograf was the best and the unit considered it worth the cost.
I have done a quick search and the consensus seems to be that it is generally considered safe, but the levels can alter as you may react to it differently and it may react to foods (such as apple juice) that the Prograf doesn't. The quality of the manufacturing process is also something that people seem to be concerned by.....

Am I being overly cautious? has anyone else swapped from Prograf to Adoport? I just keep thinking about the transplant nurse saying that the unit consider it worth the cost to prescribe brand name Prograf.... can patients refuse generic drugs?
Skm

Re: Switching to generic tacro....

Post by Skm »

Adoport is not a generic. It is another branded tacrolimus, just made by a different company. Your transplant nurses are correct tacrolimus should not be prescribed generically as you could be given different brands with their different quirks each time you cash a prescription. My unit swapped everyone from prograf to Adoport a few years ago on cost grounds. They checked everyone’s blood tacrolimus levels a week after they swapped just to make sure everything was ok.

Don’t worry. Your transplant cost the NHS a lot. They don’t want to endanger it. As I’ve mentioned Adoport is not a generic so no need to worry as long as the swap is monitored.
Best wishes.
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I think the best thing would be to wait and see but if you have decided to do this don't suffer in silence.

If your patient group will cooperate, should their be side effects, it is important to get them all to report their symptoms, if this doe's not result in changing back or to another version, I would try to organise a letter of complaint signed by all affected.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

If it's any consolation, I switched about 2 years ago and haven't noticed the slightest difference.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
ArdenRi

Post by ArdenRi »

Do people usually report anything different after switching?
You can read this amazing Quick Extender Pro review to find out more about the product.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I would suggest, any effects of the change should be reported to your medical team as quickly as possible.

Most meds from different manufacturers have some differences in their side effects, usually your body, given time, will adapt, the medical team will see more cases so can make a judgment on, is the problem trivial, and will go away or more urgent action is required.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

My switch to Adoport was seamless. Hoping that others ahve the same experience!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!