Tummy big on CAPD?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

maddie

Tummy big on CAPD?

Post by maddie »

Hi.
Can anyone tell me if you get a big tummy on CAPD? it is putting me off a bit, I was told it get really big.

Maddie.
Nikki

Big tummy

Post by Nikki »

:) Hi Maddie,
I guess its different with differnt people but I was on capd for nearly 2yrs and was very thin, your tummy feels bloated to start with and obviously stretches a bit cause its holding a lot but it didn't ever appear big and I'm now fatter after having a transplant!
You do get scars on your stomach and I'd say the tube's more of a worry than the fat tummy but its whatever dialysis makes you feel well again at the end of the day, hemo made me feel worse thats why I opted for capd.
I was 20 and a dancer with a six pack stomach when I went on capd so I can see why you're concerned, I was too.
Let me know how you get on! Good luck.
Nikki. xx :D
R30

Tummy big on CAPD?

Post by R30 »

I have to say that I've just started CAPD and my tummy is a bit distended, but to be honest, it's nothing that anyone has commented on (perhaps they're all being nice!)
Your stomach does stretch to hold the 2L (although I can only hold 1.8L max), but you do get used to it quite quickly.
Hope all goes well for you.
Ruth
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi,

My tummy is a bit bigger than usual. I am quite thin at the moment so maybe it is more noticeable to me, but no one else really notices it at all.

I have 2L in me during the day and its manageable. Smaller people often have smaller amounts also.

Best wishes,

Hal