How many have returned to work after transplant?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

tonycap

How many have returned to work after transplant?

Post by tonycap »

I would like to know if you have returned to work after your transplant, and what type of job do you do?
SKM23435

Re: How many have returned to work after transplant?

Post by SKM23435 »

Yes. I did.
12 weeks post transplant. I felt able to go back sooner but my job involves dealing with the general public at close range. My consultant didn’t want people breathing over me too soon because of the immunosupression. It is however a desk job.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
freddyy

Post by freddyy »

I work a desk job also (software engineer), and I returned to work about 7 weeks after my transplant at a 50% pace. After one month of work I went back to working full time. I think it is fine physically but pretty draining mentally after being used to going home early from work and just taking things slowly every day. Does feel wonderful to be able to work full time again though. :)
Johnylefox

Post by Johnylefox »

I had my TX on 14 December 2017.
9 weeks later I am thinking of going back.
I have had a job offer.
I am a professional and the work is desk based.
I have been great for the last few weeks but the last couple of days have been sluggish.
I intend to accept the offer and go back to work in March for 3 days per week.
I will update.
Good luck all.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I'm a self-employed professional musician, now aged 50.
After my first transplant in August 2007, I was back working a month later, taking it easy, but feeling great.
After my second transplant in November 2012, I went along a week after leaving hospital (so 2 weeks post-tx) to a concert for which I'd organised the band. I'd booked a dep saxophonist to replace me, though he was late for the rehearsal, so I played anyway feeling fine. In the end I played for most of the rehearsal and half the concert – that was enough.
I'm not super-fit, though as a musician working in relatively short concentrated bursts I was able to manage my energy levels. I wouldn't have been able to do the job of someone on their feet/on show all day like, say a teacher for a few more weeks, I don't think. I've basically been working normally from a few weeks after both transplant.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Johnylefox wrote:I had my TX on 14 December 2017.
I have had a job offer.
I have been great for the last few weeks but the last couple of days have been sluggish.
I will update.
Good luck all.
I was itching to get back into work, as an engineer I am desk based so it's not hard work!

Started after 9-10 weeks with a four week phased return before going back to 38hr weeks.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Johnylefox

Post by Johnylefox »

Rheabyou, I am a surveyor.

I have been offered a phased return. Right up to the job interview I was gine, been rubbish every day since. Tired when I wake and all through the day.

Did you have any fatigue issues?
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Johnylefox wrote:I had my TX on 14 December 2017.
I have had a job offer.
I will update.
Good luck all.
Everyone is different and I was warned that I could take 6-12 months to recover. Had days when fatigued and also days where I was just drained mentally. But I was desperate to get back to normal, had worked full time while on dialysis to help keep my mind busy, much the same now. I stilll get tired, go through phases where I have limited capacity at work due to side effects/meds/being tired.

If you are happy with the phased start give it a go, maybe kickstarting the body and mind will have a positive effect on how you feel?

Let us know how you get on.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Johnylefox

Post by Johnylefox »

Thank you.