Hypertension: what do YOU think causes it?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Hypertension: what do YOU think causes it?

Postby aventador17 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:48 am

So many guidelines are out there now on hypertension, and each one keeps getting more and more strict on requirements to thwart hypertension.

First it was below 140/90, then it was below 120/80. Now, an article on WebMD suggests anything higher than 120/80 will DEFINITELY cause artery hardening and heart disease.

Yes, we're all dying of something. But hypertension didn't used to be around, and now it is - or is it just that we started noticing it more now?

So what do YOU think causes hypertension in most people (besides obesity and lack of exercise, because many people are thin and exercise daily, and still have it)?

Stress? Alcohol Consumption? Diet? High Fructose Corn Syrup? Anxiety?

What are your thoughts?
aventador17

Re: Hypertension: what do YOU think causes it?

Postby wagolynn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Sodium, low fibre diet, smoking, lack of exerciser, I think are the probable main causes but then I am just your average bloke. Perhaps, stress but I would expect it to go away when stress is relieved.
wagolynn

Postby SKM23435 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:43 pm

All of the above plus - Genetics, kidney disease.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
SKM23435

Postby JMan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Used to be lower than 120/80.. Parameters were lifted.. So not suprising there's suggestion of lowering again

But who's really asking?
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
JMan

Location: A small vyllage in Ye Olde London Town, An IÆ’land, Planet Earth, The Universe

Postby BEAR15 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:01 pm

Hypertension in the context of kidney disease? It's really hard to say for sure. I've heard "hypertension is a kidney disease" - blood pressure is basically controlled by the kidneys. If kidneys are damaged by kidney disease, blood pressure usually goes up. Why I am not sure. They say renal artery stenosis (arteries to the kidney narrowing) could be a cause -- the kidneys find local blood flow restricted and raise the pressure globally. But the mechanics of it are a puzzle. Here's a personal viewpoint: I've noticed blood pressure on wakeup after a good nights sleep is lower. Especially, after activated charcoal gargles at bedtime have cleared phlegm (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15791) and helped me breathe better while sleeping.

In the days just before I had my heart attack, I noticed my blood pressure spiking, especially diastolic (the lower number). I also noticed I was drinking lots of water - I was always thirsty. Immediately after I had emergency surgery to implant a stent, I urinated one litre and had some of the best sleep of my life. My blood pressure also came down (of course, I was on tons of meds).

The curious thing is my heart attack was caused by a 95% block in one of the arteries of the heart (the proximal LAD). Two or three days earlier, a clot had probably formed or broke free and was blocking this artery, restricting blood supply to a portion of heart tissue. I believe my kidneys somehow 'knew' this was happening and raised blood pressure (this included making me always thirsty) in order to 'squeeze' more blood past the blockage.

With diseases like IgAN, there is damage to the kidney. Blood pressure also commonly goes up, and that causes further kidney damage. Why I am not clear about, especially if there is no renal artery stenosis. Based on my experience with BP being better after a good nights sleep, hypoxia during sleep may be a cause, and bad quality sleep may interfere with the body's repair to kidneys and other organs at night.

Another suspicion -- and this is complete speculation -- increased blood pressure may be due to damaged glomerulus structure (maybe sensors in these structures are damaged, maybe this is even an attempt to 'sweep out' blockages like a high pressure hose). But the increased pressure, however, causes further harm - not only to the kidneys, but elsewhere too.
BEAR15

Return to The KPG Forum