Transport to hospital after transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Beespatellas

Transport to hospital after transplant

Post by Beespatellas »

Hi all. I have a live donor transplant coming up this year, and I'm a little concerned about the multiple check ups following surgery, as the hospital is an hour away by car (I don't drive, or know anyone with a car well enough to take me as often as needed) the train is too expensive, and the bus would mean a jolty long (1 1/2 hour) journey. How has everyone else coped with this issue?
SKM23435

Re: Transport to hospital after transplant

Post by SKM23435 »

Hi Beespatellas,

Good Luck with your upcoming transplant.

My transplant centre is also an hours drive away and almost impossible to get public transport to. I was lucky enough to have friends who took turns until I was able to drive. However the hospital arranged transport to the clinic for the first 12 weeks post transplant for those who needed it and provided free parking for 12 weeks for those who drove.

I don’t know if your transplant centre is your local centre too. After 12 weeks I was considered stable enough to have my care returned to my local hospital 10 minutes away.

Hope all goes well.
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Ps. Public transport was discouraged immediately post transplant due to your new high levels of immunosuppression. It’s ok once your drugs are reduced after the first 12 weeks.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Beespatellas

Post by Beespatellas »

Thanks for this info! I had no idea they frowned on public transport for the first 12 weeks! I'll have to ask them if they provide transport.