Flu jabs - not too late

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AmandaClare

Flu jabs - not too late

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi everyone

I was reading New Scientist today and it sounds like this year's 'Aussie flu' is a nasty one. And the NHS is already struggling. Their advice is to get a jab now if you haven't already.

Mine is free of course and my son gets one at school, but my partner pays for one - for his own sake but also to lessen the chances of it coming into the household.

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
wagolynn

Re: Flu jabs - not too late

Post by wagolynn »

AmandaClare wrote:Hi everyone

I was reading New Scientist today and it sounds like this year's 'Aussie flu' is a nasty one. And the NHS is already struggling. Their advice is to get a jab now if you haven't already.

Mine is free of course and my son gets one at school, but my partner pays for one - for his own sake but also to lessen the chances of it coming into the household.

Amanda
Your partner should get it free, to protect you is the logic.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Yes. Anyone Living with a transplant patient gets the option for a free flu jab.

Partner and daughter both have theirs each year, get them the same time I do.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Ah, never realised that. He sometimes gets one free at work, sometimes is out of the office that day and pays in Boots, so he's never been to the GP surgery or our regular pharmacist who might have said.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Baby boy 2010
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I had one early on, at GP, who sort of treated me as an odd creature turning up JUST for a flu jab !

Partner got hers done at local chemist

Have still had 6 months of flu like symptoms, severe breathing problems and strange chest infection that showed no sign of infection, and suddenly got diagnosed with high thyroid function.

Last year strains came in from China, and America that weren't in the UK jab.

You win some, you loose some!
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi JMan

Yes, I heard on the radio today that this year's jab isn't actually very effective at all. But the advice is still to get one since a small benefit is better than no benefit... The kids' nasal spray is far more effective apparently.

I've had years of being hyperthyroid, controlled by meds, and finally had a total thyroidectomy in November. I'm glad to be rid of the thing. Do they think that's causing your nasty symptoms?

Hope you feel better soon.

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Baby boy 2010
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Part and part I think.. I wasn't functioning which is unusual for me even at the worst of times. Or not for a long a period as this time.

They'll never get it right, but yes if it helps a percentage thats great, although the human population isn't exactly at a critical point is it:D Bigger picture an all:)

I had the other ones, the parathyroids out years ago.. So what brought on this sudden change, or recent diagnosis I really don't know.