VitvD deficiency Bone and tendon pain and muscle weakness

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike2003

VitvD deficiency Bone and tendon pain and muscle weakness

Post by Mike2003 »

Since being put on Alfacidol only 2 weeks ago some nasty symptoms are clearing up rapidly. Honestly I thought I was going nuts with my knee collapsing, thigh muscles weakening dramatically and tendon pains in my skull triggering loud tinnitus plus nasty pain in my middle finger and feet.

My declining renal function didnt leap to mind. I just thought I was getting old. It seemed a bit daft to mention all these symptoms to my renal consultant. I guess I did tell my GP but until I got put on vitamin D by the consultant nothing got better. It just goes to show that its important to have a good relationship with your doctor and regular blood tests so stuff like this isnt mistaken for osteoarthritis or depression and left untreated. Phew the relief. I actually feel I can excercise again.
Last edited by Mike2003 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AmandaClare

Re: VitvD deficiency Bone and tendon pain and muscle weaknes

Post by AmandaClare »

Glad to hear it! I had a similar experience of really severe pains in my feet that disappeared within a short time of starting Vit D.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Mike2003

Post by Mike2003 »

It must have been due to low calcitrol production vitamin D, D3 because it started the end of July and Id had a good diet and sufficient sunlight exposure. So it must have renal related
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

If your phosphate levels are wrong your calcium uptake is affected.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I've been getting muscle weakness in my legs in the last 6 months, my Vit D has recently been altered and I think my calcium was high (and phospate :()
The muscle thing scares the hell out of em, I can't lift my knees as I used to.

Everyones Vit D level goes down in winter, so some sunshine, if we get any, is a good idea.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Calcium should be in your blood results.

Increasing vitamin D suggests calcium is low.

The best thing to do with muscle pain is try to use the muscles.

Use em or loose em.