Holidays on PD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Epgibbons

Re: Holidays on PD

Post by Epgibbons »

Hi all, I am on APD ( with a Baxter machine) and travel is fine provided you give Baxter enough notice via your NHS PD unit (in UK) . You have to take the machine in its travel case so you may need a helper as it is heavy.
Heart transplant in 1990, CKD started 2015, Heamodyalisis for 6 months, APDfor 18 months.
siddharthinfosys

Post by siddharthinfosys »

I'm not sure if it is the same situation with PD as with hemo in the USA as there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK & USA to cover costs of dialysis for Hemo. I think I have heard of people doing PD there though with no probs. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you more than I can.
renson

Post by renson »

st places, espeically in the US/Canada will have had some understanding of providing food for dialysis patients, so I shouldnt stress excessively over that side of things. Going on vacation with either PD or heamo requires tree a long time in early notification... most inns will get PD suff and it IS a smart thought to get a couple of more conveyed on the off chance that you get postponed.