Do damaged kidneys feel sore?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ImAnIdiot

Do damaged kidneys feel sore?

Post by ImAnIdiot »

Do you feel damaged kidneys? Like going over bumps in a car or a constant ache or pressure from lying down?

I'm worried that I damaged my kidneys from accidentally ingesting too much salt water. Went to the doctor a couple days after, they did tests and said levels look fine, but can't explain what I'm feeling. :?

Thanks
Daisy4246

Re: Do damaged kidneys feel sore?

Post by Daisy4246 »

Your body should slowly clear the excess salt water. Maybe you are feeling that sensation.
You don't feel damaged kidneys on whole but have other symptoms.
I would suggest that you monitor that feeling and if no change then push for further tests. Depending on how bad you feel then go to your doctor sooner.
Good luck.
freddyy

Post by freddyy »

As Daisy stated, a decline in kidney function is normally not felt in that way, but through other symptoms such as swelling, nausea, urinary problems, tiredness, etc.

During my decline in kidney function I have had some aching sensations in my flank. Several times I told my doctor or nurse, and they always dismissed it as just muscle aches and did not investigate it further.

That being said, even if your sensation is not stemming from kidney decline, it could still be something that needs attention. So if it doesn't go away or gets worse you should contact your physician again for more tests.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I would go along with the advice above.

The excess salt should have cleared within two to three days, you would probably want to to drink more water until the salt had cleared.

If the pains are still there, go to the doctors with pains in your side or back rather than say pains in your kidneys.

This should encourage them to look wider for the cause.

Best wishes
ImAnIdiot

Post by ImAnIdiot »

Thank you all for your time and advice.