"Please Offer Me A Seat"

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

bigbuzzard

"Please Offer Me A Seat"

Post by bigbuzzard »

I haven't been here for a while. Was prompted to drop in by this image of something a friend just posted on Facebook (she has ME).
Image.
You can order one here.
Thumps

Re: "Please Offer Me A Seat"

Post by Thumps »

This is excellent. :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Rik

Post by Rik »

not that it will do a lot ... London is so different from anywhere else ...
I stood all the way on the tube with my walking stick going too and from hospital ...
and at no time was there even a hint of a seat being given up ...
if a walking stick doesn't suggest someone needs a seat ... a badge isn't going to help ...
you shouldn't need a badge for it to be obvious that you should be giving a seat up to someone ...
what's needed is good manners and common sense ...
both are majorly in short supply these days ...
though selfishness seems to be in abundance .........
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Rik wrote:not that it will do a lot ... London is so different from anywhere else ...
I stood all the way on the tube with my walking stick going too and from hospital ...
and at no time was there even a hint of a seat being given up ...
if a walking stick doesn't suggest someone needs a seat ... a badge isn't going to help ...
you shouldn't need a badge for it to be obvious that you should be giving a seat up to someone ...
what's needed is good manners and common sense ...
both are majorly in short supply these days ...
though selfishness seems to be in abundance .........
I actively don't offer seats to people, even if they look old & infirm / have a stick or whatever. I used to, but would regularly get stink-eye at my judgement and a "I'm fine to stand thank you".

A lot of people I know who have physical issues are incredibly independent and take pride that while they look like they need a seat, they don't. Likewise, I have healthy looking friends who desperately need a seat, but no-one with 'common sense' would ever think they needed one.

This badge is great IMO, because it eliminates the awkwardness of making a judgement about someone you don't know.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

By contrast, I frequently got offered a seat when I was on crutches last year on tubes, buses and trains, and when I didn't, I felt ok asking for one when I needed it because the crutches were a great visual cue. If this badge campaign makes it easier for those without visually obvious disabilities to ask for a seat, then that's great :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

I travel into london each work day on the underground, unless someone asks for a seat or I happen to see someone who needs one then I really don't pay attention to anyone that might need one. I do think that quite a few people seem to think that people simply ignore someone who maybe needs a seat when it isn't always the case, at least it isn't for me. On my journey on the train I have headphones on meaning I can't hear anything at all other than my music and I have my head in my kindle reading, im almost completely unaware of anyone standing around my seat so just wouldn't know if they needed to sit or not and I value my reading time on the train every day so certainly wouldn't look up every few mins to see if I should give up the seat.

I would however give the seat up should someone ask for it if they needed it.