Comment please - IGAN

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

idlebrain

Comment please - IGAN

Post by idlebrain »

Hello everyone,

New to forum here, 45 years old Male, diagnosed with IGAN after kidney biopsy in 2006.
Below link contains my Serum Creatinine and 24-hr Urine Protein readings from last 12 years.
I think my kidneys started slowly moving towards failure. I used Predinosone IV and tablets for 3 months when I diagnosed in 2006 and stopped.
Currently on Hypertension and cholesterol medicine and omega-3 fish oil gels.
Do you think if I can start Predinosone again, will it slow down the disease progression?
http://imgur.com/a/6edBo

Thanks and have a good day.
wagolynn

Re: Comment please - IGAN

Post by wagolynn »

Hi idlebrain,

You do not say if you stopped the Predinosone IV or your doctor.

I would expect if anything can be done to prolong your kidneys 'normal' function your medical team would have told you.

As to diet, unless advised by your doctor otherwise, a balanced diet is all that is required, the closer you can get to five portions of vegetables, and fruit per day the better, contrary to the advertisements, fruit juice doe's not count, it is the fibre that is the good part.

If your usual diet is not anywhere near this, then introduce vegetables, and fruit slowly over say a month, to give your gut bacteria a chance to adjust.

The above will not directly improve your kidneys but will certainly improve your general health which indirectly should help your kidneys.

Best wishes.