Biopsy

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Doctor.Rock

Biopsy

Post by Doctor.Rock »

Hi

So I'm going in for a biopsy on my kidney on Monday, I was wondering if anybody can advise me what I need to prepare for it, and what I will need to take with me

Thanks
SKM23435

Re: Biopsy

Post by SKM23435 »

Is your biopsy of a native or transplanted kidney?
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Daisy4246

Post by Daisy4246 »

Not much to take really as it's a very short procedure. I had mine under sedation quite a few years ago but wasn't encouraged and someone else recently wasn't allowed sedation so they used local anaesthetic and he didn't feel anything and is was over so fast. Perhaps just take drink and food in case of delays.
Good luck .
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

If it's your native kidney, be prepared to lie on your back afterwards for a few hours. You generally have to pass 2 clear urine tests before they let you go. You might be a bit sore for a few days, but it quickly passes.

A good book and headphones can be useful!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Doctor.Rock

Post by Doctor.Rock »

Thanks everybody, it's a biopsy on my native kidney
freddyy

Post by freddyy »

The procedure itself was not so painful (just used local anesthetics), but I was so wound up and tense that I pulled a muscle in my neck during the biopsy, and that hurt like hell (much more than the needle!) :D So try to stay relaxed, it won't be so bad (and anyway it is pretty quick)

Prepare to have some hours in bed afterwards where you are not allowed to move around much. As mentioned, bring some entertainment like a book or a tablet.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Doctor.Rock wrote:Hi
and what I will need to take with me
Take your body :D , lie there, relax, go home.

:D :D :D :D
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!