Which transplant centre, Plymouth or Bristol? Thoughts pls.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dixie1

Which transplant centre, Plymouth or Bristol? Thoughts pls.

Post by Dixie1 »

Morning all

I have recently moved to Devon and therefore my transplant centre needs to be moved from Guys to one closer to me down here. I was surprised a couple of days ago when my consultant at Exeter asked me whether I would prefer Plymouth or Bristol! I didn't realise I would have a choice and it threw me a bit. I live exactly in the middle of both, so distance isn't really a consideration. I just wondered if anyone here had a thoughts or experiences at either of these hospitals that they could offer?

Thanks! :D
Dibs

Re: Which transplant centre, Plymouth or Bristol? Thoughts p

Post by Dibs »

Hi Dixie.

I had a transplant in Southmead on 20/2. I cannot fault the staff and enjoyed their company. The building is new, although some of the plumbing needed attention, there was a lack of remote controls for the tellies and food was not good. I was in and out in five days, so everything went smoothly for me. Some of my visitors complained about getting a parking space.

I am still going to Exeter three times a week and was speaking to a gent from Devon today who was given the same options as you. He spoke highly of Derriford.

So I can't give you a definitive answer, but I'm not aware of problems with either.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Dibs,

For what it's worth, the NHS produces both graft and patient survival rates for each of the renal tx centres in the UK:

http://www.odt.nhs.uk/pdf/organ_specifi ... y_2016.pdf

Page 46 onwards has that information if it is of any use to you.

And sorry you're leaving Guy's, we could have met up on the 4th floor!

Chris
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Dibs and Chris - Thanks very much for the feedback Dibs. Hope you're feeling great now with your new kidney! Chris - I will take a look at the link. Thanks! :)
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Southmead is brand new, hence various problems including parking. One thing I will say is that they are incredibly strict about weight limits. They go by BMI despite t h e fact that it has been debunked. I have been trying and failing to get to their target for over 2 years (which means I'm not on the list) despite t h e fact that I keep telling them I am exactly the same build as my Mother, late Grandmother and late Great Grandmother, who were all healthy into their 80's and 90s. My consultant says if they won't accept me the next time I go we will try Oxford, who have a different approach but are just as successful
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Thanks for the reply chrisb. Luckily for me my BMI is fine. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems though. What level are they asking for? Guys hospital was 30.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

My husband had a transplant at Derriford. The staff there were brilliant. He had to keep travelling back there twice a week for the first two months so ease of travelling is a consideration.