HELP -Current UF

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Smudgecats

HELP -Current UF

Post by Smudgecats »

Hi I'm new to APD. Been on it for approx 4 weeks.
When I was on CAPD I was taking off far more fluid.
If I use yellow bags I often get minus UF's and if I use yellow and green I get 500 UF if I'm lucky. Is this the norm?
I often wake up wheezy and I'm always breathless. I can't see a Dr until May/June as my unit is busy.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
wagolynn

Re: HELP -Current UF

Post by wagolynn »

I would speak to the nurse who trained you.

What may be happening, is they are waiting a while to see how you adjust to APD, and intend to adjust your dialysate once they get a clear picture.
But if you are being noticeably stressed, as you have said, then get in touch with the nurse.
Smudgecats

Post by Smudgecats »

Hi
Thank you for your response.
I have spoken to the nurses several times but to date they've not been able to give me an answer. The fluid I'm retaining. I'm breathless and my lower legs/ankles are swollen. I'm sugar levels are high so can't keep using the 2.27 (green) bags.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Hi smudgecats

You are retaining fluid - hence the shortness of breath and leg swelling.
This will not wait until your appointment in May.
You need to be seen and assessed in the next few days. If your renal nurses are being unhelpful and If you are in the UK ring your renal until and ask to speak to the "Renal registrar on call" or get yourself seen by a GP and ask them to call the renal unit.

Good luck

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I agree with the post above.
Smudgecats

Post by Smudgecats »

Thank you. I've been up to the dialysis unit so many times and I'm told to use green every other day.
I'm there again Tuesday and will ask again.
Thank you for your advice x
Smudgecats

Post by Smudgecats »

Can I ask if you are on APD what is your usual UF?
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Smudgecats

I was on APD until I had a transplant 18 months ago.
I can't remember my UF. We are all different. My fluids weren't restricted as I still passed lots of urine. When I first started I had a couple of negative figures but things settled (it was all to do with my sleeping position, position of my tube and getting good drains). I seem to remember that despite passing urine I still had significant positive UF figures.

But your symptoms are those of significant fluid overload. The impression you give (I'm not sure if this is correct) is that despite green bags things are getting worse. Hence my advice that it won't wait and needs to be sorted. How much weight have you put on over the past week? This will be fluid.

Hope this is sorted soon.
Let us know how you get on.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Epgibbons

Post by Epgibbons »

Hi SimonJoshep, I am on APD myself and can suffer from low UF. A few questions about your setup:
Are you using a Baxter machine? if so what is the amount of lost dwell each day. Do you have Smart Dwell turn on ( the default)?
Do you drain well?
Do you mind giving details of your therapy, volumes, tidal %, etc - only if on Baxteras that is what I use.
Heart transplant in 1990, CKD started 2015, Heamodyalisis for 6 months, APDfor 18 months.
Brain

Post by Brain »

SKM23435 wrote:Hi smudgecats

You are retaining fluid - hence the shortness of breath and leg swelling.
This will not wait until your appointment in May.
You need to be seen and assessed in the next few days. If your renal nurses are being unhelpful and If you are in the UK ring your renal until and ask to speak to the "Renal registrar on call" or get yourself seen by a GP and ask them to call the renal unit.

Good luck

Sue
Well said SKM23435