Babies and Nappies

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

DeanH

Babies and Nappies

Post by DeanH »

Hi all, does anyone have any experience with it being ok to change babies nappies after having a kidney transplant? I had my transplant two years ago now and my wife is due to give birth this week, I am concerned about it being ok to change nappies afterwards with the risk being from any live vaccinations the baby will have going forward.

I have spoken with a nurse at my clinic and they were pretty vague on the matter, I would guess that as long as I follow good hygiene then it should be ok?
Chris Wright

Re: Babies and Nappies

Post by Chris Wright »

Did it for years with both my kids, go for it.
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
rheaybou

Re: Babies and Nappies

Post by rheaybou »

First up, congratulations. Transplants change and help create lives.

I tried to use the transplant excuse to get out of changing nappies.....I didn't get away with it, just good personal hygiene is all you need. If you are worried get a few boxes of disposable gloves.

Be prepared to pick up every little sniffle the little one gets. Just double check your chicken pox immunity, I had that panic just before Xmas.

Enjoy every minute of it
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.