Question on Creatinine & eGFR

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

kevintan12

Question on Creatinine & eGFR

Post by kevintan12 »

Hi, I was recently diagnosed for Coronary Artery Disease. Found 3 narrowing in my left and right ventricles of the heart. On 9th of March I did an Angiogram and this was found out. Before the Angiogram, they took my blood and found that my Creatinine levels were 87. They then put in on several meds. Aspirin 100mg (Blood Thinner), Astorvastatin 60mg (Cholesterol), Lisinopril 2.5mg (Blood Pressure), Ezetimibe 10mg (Cholesterol), Bisoprolol 1.25mg (Blood Pressure) and Frusemide 40mg (Edema).

Fast forward 1 week to 15 March, I took another blood test to prepare for a stent op and they found that my Creatinine went up to 127 with eGFR at 53. Doctor said that it could be dehydration as I did not take take too much water due to the edema. Maybe less than 1 liter per day. So I hydrated and the next day took another blood test. Results were 126 with eGFR 58. My doc asked for another blood test 2 days later. Results were 115 with eGFR 59.

My question, is this a good sign? When should I take another test? With borderline eGFR, is it safe to do a stent op? Especially using the dye? Are the meds causing my Creatinine levels to go up? After hydrating for 3 days and Creatinine drops to 115 from 127. Is this normal or should it drop more?

Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks again in advance.
wagolynn

Re: Question on Creatinine & eGFR

Post by wagolynn »

Hi kevintan12,

eGFR of 59 will be OK, I would say 59 is not border line.

Less than 1l of water is bad for you, and your kidneys, in your condition I would say 2l is more like it (check with your consultant), if the oedema (water retention) gets worse they can always increase the water pills

The dye, unless it has changed recently, is known to give kidneys a shock but this is far outweighed by the gains from the stents.

I had stents fitted in my heart when I was much further down the line of kidney failure, in the short term I lost about 5% kidney function but about half of that loss came back in about two weeks. However this will vary from person to person, and the cause of the loss of kidney function.

Your eGFR would have to fall to around 20% or so before you would notice.

So I would say stop worrying , and get the stents in these will help to make some changes for the better.

Best wishes.
kevintan12

Post by kevintan12 »

Thank you so much for the feedback. Really is a relief to know this. Today is my Stent procedure. Hoping for the best.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Good luck, or I suppose by now it should be, I hope all went well.
kevintan12

Post by kevintan12 »

Hi, the stent op went well. I had 3 stent placed. Just wondering, after the op, did you feel any pain? I've got this soreness in my chest, however, it has since gone away. The only thing I feel now is that I tend to get out of breath more often than before the op. Before the op, I could walk for long distances without panting (no symptoms. the only issue was the Edema). Now, I sometimes can be out of breath after a short walk.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Did you get to see what was happening on the screens?

I expect they will have a rehabilitation program for you in a while.

I was told to rest for four weeks avoiding anything strenuous, defined as anything that made me breath hard.

I was told that they wanted the stents to get established, and let the heart sort itself out a bit.

The rehab (if they do it in your area) was very good, exercise, in a group, under supervision along with talks about the heart, diet, and exercise. I could see the new patients were protective of their hearts at first but after a couple of sessions they were much more into it all.

The group thing works well, at least you know you are not the only one.

Best wishes.
kevintan12

Post by kevintan12 »

Thanks so much again for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Yes there is a program. Will be seeing the consultant next Tuesday.

Incidentally, can I ask. We're you a scorer before the Stent? Somehow, after, I just stopped snoring. Not sure if that is a good sign or not. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea as well.
kevintan12

Post by kevintan12 »

Did a blood test yesterday after my first consult with my Cardiologist after the stenting and all my levels were in the reference range, but on the high side. I'm not too concern as I'm hopeful they will improve. Creatinine is 110 and eGFR is >60. Even Potassium levels has gone back to normal. First time my blood test has no red marks LOL.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

kevintan12 wrote:Thanks so much again for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Yes there is a program. Will be seeing the consultant next Tuesday.

Incidentally, can I ask. We're you a scorer before the Stent? Somehow, after, I just stopped snoring. Not sure if that is a good sign or not. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea as well.
An almost fully functioning heart will make changes to many things, some you will notice, and some are less noticeable.
Engh

Post by Engh »

kevintan12 wrote:I tried pea protein powder yesterday after my first consult with my Cardiologist after the stenting and my levels were in the reference range, but on the high side. I'm not too concern as I'm hopeful they will improve. Creatinine is 110 and eGFR is >60. Even Potassium levels has gone back to normal. First time my blood test has no red marks LOL.
Thanks for the update Kevin, sounds like it worked out good wit hthe Creatinine.